Work pay question

£18350 is the max you can earn?

Yes. I was earning substantially more than that at N...... Might as well say it’s E.... that I’m working for.

It’s disgusting tbh - it’s exploitation especially for young uns who might go in and in a few years be earning buttons compared to older people for doing the exact same role.

Out of principle I’m considering telling them to stick it and going for something else. I had to kick off with them to get my first months pay (as an advanced payment with deductions but without a payslip) after they didn’t pay me and then the second month they taxed me based on two months worth of income meaning I came out with less than £1000 take home pay. The unions there seem weak as piss as well they’ve done nothing to address this.

Anyone ITK on this?

I’ve been working in my new job now for nine weeks. After a number of issues regarding pay, it has come to my attention that the maximum wage I can possibly earn once fully trained after one year service is less than 75% than that of the pre-existing staff (For the record it’s £18350). I also found out that this is due to the company only agreeing to take new staff on if they were paid a lot less than what the current staff are on even though we are doing the same job, and the unions “begrudgingly” agreed to this.

Now, as far as I was aware you couldn’t do this, especially if it’s “like work”. I’m already looking at getting out of the place as I’m experienced in the role working for a different company and really don’t want to be working for a large business that is willing to do that.
Just wait till after Brexit when the Tories bring in all the extra employment protection that the EU is stopping them doing now.

Any new starters at our place will get significantly less (imo) terms and conditions and slightly less hourly rate of pay.

It's shit like.

Yes. I was earning substantially more than that at N...... Might as well say it’s E.... that I’m working for.

It’s disgusting tbh - it’s exploitation especially for young uns who might go in and in a few years be earning buttons compared to older people for doing the exact same role.

Out of principle I’m considering telling them to stick it and going for something else. I had to kick off with them to get my first months pay (as an advanced payment with deductions but without a payslip) after they didn’t pay me and then the second month they taxed me based on two months worth of income meaning I came out with less than £1000 take home pay. The unions there seem weak as piss as well they’ve done nothing to address this.
Don't forget that the union is only as good as it's membership.
If there is a small amount of fee paying memebers in the workforce - then very little is going to be achieved TBH.
Unity is strength - if ALL the workforce were in the union, then companies wouldn't get away with such shithouse working practices.

Happening everywhere marra. It's shit.
If there is a small amount of fee paying memebers in the workforce - then very little is going to be achieved TBH.
Unity is strength - if ALL the workforce were in the union, then companies wouldn't get away with such shithouse working practices.
We are trying to get the union in at our place. We have the numbers but the company are trying every trick in the book to get around it so we have to go through the court route.

My mates been at E.... for over a decade and I think he started on around 18k so it's a big pay cut for new starters when inflation is taken into account.

Standard in many places now.

I used to do a job where staff in lower-paid roles earned more than I did because they got extra allowances for unsociable and weekend hours, as they were on the ‘old contracts’

Their base hourly rate was below mine, but some of them were earning almost twice what I was per hour thanks to that 🙄

how can they get around that though? I thought it was all about equality now? I was telling a lass on my team to complain because she’s a lass and there are men on way more money than her

the only thing they can say is the staff there have years of experience however we would also have to get incremental pay increases surely if that was the case
No expert but if I company decides on a more stringent wage policy it can set new levels whilst honouring existing employers contracts .Eventually everyone is on the new policy when the old crew leave

Happens all over, unfortunately.

Wife works for a company who took over some shops that were previously owned by Sainsburys. The difference in the pay and T&Cs are huge.

And if workers had more confidence in the unions in the workplaces more would obviously join, works both ways.

Although should be stronger rules from the government stopping companies taking the piss!

Last edited:
New starters are coming in at my place on shitloads more than current employees because of stringent/non-existent salary increases for years and now a sudden need to expand the workforce in which the industry average has increased a fair whack.

Even worse when you're asked to train the new lads up who are earning much more :neutral:

And if workers had more confidence in the unions in the workplaces more would obviously join, works both ways.

Although should be stronger rules from the government stopping companies taking the piss!

I used to work for the parent company of a large UK based left wing newspaper.

They had it in our contracts that they did not recognise any unions and we were not entitled to use one while dealing with them.

Irony, eh?

New starters are coming in at my place on shitloads more than current employees because of stringent/non-existent salary increases for years and now a sudden need to expand the workforce in which the industry average has increased a fair whack.

Even worse when you're asked to train the new lads up who are earning much more :neutral:
That is mental practice management/owners. Also, mental that existing employees take it.

Back