Work pay question

Anyone ITK on this?

I’ve been working in my new job now for nine weeks. After a number of issues regarding pay, it has come to my attention that the maximum wage I can possibly earn once fully trained after one year service is less than 75% than that of the pre-existing staff (For the record it’s £18350). I also found out that this is due to the company only agreeing to take new staff on if they were paid a lot less than what the current staff are on even though we are doing the same job, and the unions “begrudgingly” agreed to this.

Now, as far as I was aware you couldn’t do this, especially if it’s “like work”. I’m already looking at getting out of the place as I’m experienced in the role working for a different company and really don’t want to be working for a large business that is willing to do that.

Yes your company has every right to do this - its like it or lump it I'm afraid marra.

how can they get around that though? I thought it was all about equality now? I was telling a lass on my team to complain because she’s a lass and there are men on way more money than her

the only thing they can say is the staff there have years of experience however we would also have to get incremental pay increases surely if that was the case

Anyone ITK on this?

I’ve been working in my new job now for nine weeks. After a number of issues regarding pay, it has come to my attention that the maximum wage I can possibly earn once fully trained after one year service is less than 75% than that of the pre-existing staff (For the record it’s £18350). I also found out that this is due to the company only agreeing to take new staff on if they were paid a lot less than what the current staff are on even though we are doing the same job, and the unions “begrudgingly” agreed to this.

Now, as far as I was aware you couldn’t do this, especially if it’s “like work”. I’m already looking at getting out of the place as I’m experienced in the role working for a different company and really don’t want to be working for a large business that is willing to do that.
Yeah they can. All it means is they haven't slapped new terms take it or leave it on the existing work force. Which they could have done with a consultation period.

how can they get around that though? I thought it was all about equality now? I was telling a lass on my team to complain because she’s a lass and there are men on way more money than her

the only thing they can say is the staff there have years of experience however we would also have to get incremental pay increases surely if that was the case

they’re on different terms and conditions to you. It’s actually quite Good evidence of equality regardless of sex, as they’ve applied the shafting equally to new employees.

This kind of thing is happening across the UK mate, its basically what you sign up to and your gender isn't taken into consideration so it cant be classed as gender inequality. Its all perfectly legal and all above board. Nothing we can do about it apart from writing to your local MP.

The NHS have just done something similar although it was brought in by the government ...... So basically if you get a promotion or any other job within the NHS you have to sign upto the revised terms meaning less shift rate %

They have performance related pay rises at our place. So if someone who started the same time as me kept getting a 1 and crap pay rise and I kept a 5 and a decent one I'd be on way more than him 9 years later.

I don't think it would qualify for discrimination tbh. Unless all the new people are old, or gay or summat along those lines.

Back