Work life balance in the USA

The worst thing about public "bathrooms" in the US is the lack of privacy in the cubicles. There's always an inch gap between the door and the frame and a foot at the bottom. Apparently it's to make it harder to get up to mischief in there but it's disconcerting to be having a dump when you can see everything outside and who is next door.
They're like western saloon doors Ffs! No good at all

The worst thing about public "bathrooms" in the US is the lack of privacy in the cubicles. There's always an inch gap between the door and the frame and a foot at the bottom. Apparently it's to make it harder to get up to mischief in there but it's disconcerting to be having a dump when you can see everything outside and who is next door.
The irony is that in a lot of areas in the US it’s far more acceptable to get up to mischief in the cubicle than in the UK.

There’s a good gap as you say; I’m fortunate to work with other British lads who get ‘changing room banter’ and we often have crack that the septics get weird about lol.

Seen some horrific things on my trips over in the US. Took me a while to adjust if I’m honest. Never seen such a disparity between those who have and those who don’t. People just blank it out. I couldn’t do that. I just couldn’t sit in a cafe whilst a bloke is taking a dump in a side ally (in full view of passer bys) and accept that is normal. In SF took the BART for my first ever trip and it was something out of a horror film.

What was wrong with the BART like? We got it from the airport to downtown on our last visit in 2018 and even though it was at night and quiet I found it fine to be honest. Probably wouldn’t fancy riding it through Oakland like. Same with the Subway in New York in February this year, used it all the time including in the evenings and found that no bother except how mental busy it usually was, but in many ways that makes you feel safer. Some of the stations are scruffy as fuck like especially those we had to change at in Queens on the way from JFK to Manhattan and have some right nutters walking around the place, I got accused of being racist for not giving a black bloke who seemed off his tits some change in a Manhattan station :lol:. Used the Chicago transit system as well to get to and from O’Hare and while that passed through some areas I wouldn’t fancy being in at night it was also fine.

That struck me as well.
30 years since I was in the US, and don't know if it changed, but went to a few pub toilets in Louisiana where the pot was set back from the wall in the middle of the floor, no cubicle at all, facing the pissoir. You could watch blokes urinating whilst you were doing your business.
Vice versa, you could have an audience whilst having a wee.

On another note, of all the Asian and "Western Countries" I have been to, without a doubt, the country that I felt was the edgiest was the US.
Didn't help that I was hitch hiking, though.
When I got to Canada, by comparison, even the destitute seemed affluent and well mannered.

Someone I knew there offered me the opportunity of a green card. Nice of him, but I declined.

Back