Work electric car schemes

Poley 2 is nice.

Wait for the Polestar O2.

I’ve gone the lease route to get round this short term, plus we have a decent lease scheme on Volvo and Merc. The next three years will see how committed the government are to their infrastructure strategy as well as some cheaper EV models coming on the market. We’ll also start to see how fuel prices are going to fair.

Electric has to be the way to go (I’m still not convinced by the actual environmental benefits of EV) purely because the new car landscape and used car forecourts will become overrun with EVs and they will start to limit choice. I think you’ve got a three year window before people on 3/5 year purchase cycles start to change. Some cheap diesels will start to flood the market.

I’m going diesel next.

As I said earlier in this thread, they’re the emperor’s new clothes. There’s a background green argument which is the push factor. Then the performance and ‘keeping up with the Jones’s’ means they’re attractive and in demand.

I hope the reports that the environmental impact are overstated rather then under. Otherwise lots of people who have bought into this will have egg on their faces and own cars which are worthless.

My next one is a diesel too.

As I said earlier in this thread, they’re the emperor’s new clothes. There’s a background green argument which is the push factor. Then the performance and ‘keeping up with the Jones’s’ means they’re attractive and in demand.

I hope the reports that the environmental impact are overstated rather then under. Otherwise lots of people who have bought into this will have egg on their faces and own cars which are worthless.

My next one is a diesel too.
This is about work lease schemes though so it doesn't really matter what it's worth at the end of it I guess.

There’s a myriad of ways to ‘own’ a car nowadays, I’ve never been able to reconcile the rental route. Unless of course, the car choice means you would lose more owning it than leasing it.
Aye it depends on the car you're right, some do depreciate more than others and that's generally how the payments are worked out.
Pcp isn't bad as if it's gone down loads hand it back if it has equity at least you can keep/sell it.
I've done both tbh and made a couple of quid on a couple.
Market skewed atm though, people coming to the end of 2 and 3 year pcps are laughing if they screw their loafs, if they don't then some get sucked into seemingly great trade ins and they're getting rinsed.

Aye it depends on the car you're right, some do depreciate more than others and that's generally how the payments are worked out.
Pcp isn't bad as if it's gone down loads hand it back if it has equity at least you can keep/sell it.
I've done both tbh and made a couple of quid on a couple.
Market skewed atm though, people coming to the end of 2 and 3 year pcps are laughing if they screw their loafs, if they don't then some get sucked into seemingly great trade ins and they're getting rinsed.

I’ve done quite well from my current car, but I’m aware it’s now of an age and mileage that the value is dropping by a noticeable value each month and the chance of repairs is increasing.

So time for a new one. Torn between EV and a big diesel. I’m not overly keen on losing money if it can be avoided.

I’ve done quite well from my current car, but I’m aware it’s now of an age and mileage that the value is dropping by a noticeable value each month and the chance of repairs is increasing.

So time for a new one. Torn between EV and a big diesel. I’m not overly keen on losing money if it can be avoided.
I love my ev but the deal works, not for everyone.
If I was back to full time wfh I think it just buy a big noisy petrol or an old capri or something.
Don't do that many miles in top of commuting really.

Does £600 all in for an A6 Avant s-tron sound a good deal (7500 miles pa)? A Bimmer 5 Estate is showing at £875, so the Audi sounds cracking in comparison.

Still can’t quite get my around what I’ll end paying up for charging, tempted to sign up though..

Does £600 all in for an A6 Avant s-tron sound a good deal (7500 miles pa)? A Bimmer 5 Estate is showing at £875, so the Audi sounds cracking in comparison.

Still can’t quite get my around what I’ll end paying up for charging, tempted to sign up though..
That's not many miles

NHS scheme for Jaguar IPace on 18k - £720 gross -salary sacrifice -all servicing,tyres & insurance included - 3year deal

NHS scheme for Jaguar IPace on 18k - £720 gross -salary sacrifice -all servicing,tyres & insurance included - 3year deal

What’s that net after salary sacrifice? Gonna guess about £400?

My I-PACE is going back in April. I’m not on the NHS scheme but got mine for a little under £400 at 15k miles.

Be mindful of those three year deals though, nobody knows what the BIK rates will be in year three of these contracts. They’re 2% now will stay at 2% until March 2025 iirc. What would the monthly BIK be at 15% or 20%?

I assume this is not as a company car?? £600 at 7,500 miles sounds like poor value.

Last edited:

My I-PACE is going back in April. I’m not on the NHS scheme but got mine for a little under £400 at 15k miles.

Be mindful of those three year deals though, nobody knows what the BIK rates will be in year three of these contracts. They’re 2% now will stay at 2% until March 2025 iirc. What would the monthly BIK be at 15% or 20%?

I assume this is not as a company car?? £600 at 7,500 miles sounds like poor value.
The thing with BIK currently is it’s calculated based on CO2 (which I know you know) so the whole system would need to change.

I reckon it’ll go on list price, that way it’ll push manufacturers to lower their prices to hit certain thresholds too. IMO of course.

Last edited:
The thing with BIK currently is it’s calculated based on CO2 (which I know you know) so the whole system would need to change.

I reckon it’ll go on list price, that way it’ll push manufacturers to lower their prices to hit certain thresholds too. IMO of course.

You’re more optimistic than me but also know infinitely more about the car industry than me so I hope you’re right!

My worry is whomever is chancellor will see all these pearly white Model 3s silently gliding about the place and think - oh golly, we are losing an awful lot of tax aren’t we? however will I heat my stables?

Last edited:
What’s your opinion on the forward EV vs ICE market?

I’m increasingly of the belief that EV isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Massive problems with raw materials, mining, chip labour and then there’s the charging infrastructure.

Diesel is the best option overall, but I’m conscious that a new purchase (in the next six months) may just haemorrhage cash very quickly.

I’m sceptical like you but battery technology will likely change over the coming years with greater mileage per charge as well as how they produce the batteries.

Big issue with price currently is the number of cars they are producing which means they aren’t efficient enough in the production process to reduce costs. As more come on stream and manufacturers produce more the cost will come down like most first gen tec products.

Also depending on what you read and by whom ev cars over their life should produce less carbon than petrol counter parts but that is largely down to how the country you are in produces electricity.

Oh, I wouldn’t be leasing. Salary sacrifice purchase scheme. No sense in hoying £600 a month at something you would never own.

Depending on your pension type (and sure you have considered this) but salary sacrifice could have an impact on your final pension you get so worth understanding how much that costs also.

Last edited:

Gross is around £400

Back