Work dilemma

Need a bit advice

I’ve worked at my company for ten years nearly. I’m the longest serving engineer in the department. I have 3 fellow engineers who I work alongside. 1 is newish by about 6 months. Anyway before he started I found out how much salary was in offer. . It was advertised as 30-33k. This was potentially 5k more than me. Lad started and told me how much he was on prior to arriving suggesting he was on 33k.
Went and had it out with my gaffer who said he would get me the same etc. Low and behold didn’t get the big payrise and got the big standard 2.5%. I’ve had to train the new guy up and also had to show the other 2 over the years the same training etc.

Now I’ve found out another engineer s job has came up in another department which I quite fancy. But the job has no salary advertised.
Do I ask hr how much the salary is?
Do I ask my current boss would he mind if I went for the job?
My next move is critical for my family etc. So do I stick at this place or move on to somewhere else where I can expect salary’s of over 34/35k.
If you stay somewhere too long, you fall behind the new lads who come in. It doesn't pay to be set in your ways.

My former company had a downturn and wages were frozen for the duration of the problem period. When things started looking up, I was told my salary would be reviewed subject to regular performance review. The regular performance reviews didn't happen and my wages remained where they were. My boss made the "excuse" he couldn't give me a performance review as he'd not had one himself (likely story) and it's possible new hires were getting more than me.

I had to stay put for personal reasons, but come a further downturn leading to potential closure I was laid off. At that stage my salary was 6.5K behind that for new hires by other companies for the same set of duties.

It's not unreasonable the new position you're looking at will probably be offered to the right external candidate for more than you'd get as an internal candidate. See what Human Resources say the salary is for an internal applicant then look for agency adverts to find the same job offered externally.

It'll be interesting to see what difference there is.

Last edited:

Need a bit advice

I’ve worked at my company for ten years nearly. I’m the longest serving engineer in the department. I have 3 fellow engineers who I work alongside. 1 is newish by about 6 months. Anyway before he started I found out how much salary was in offer. . It was advertised as 30-33k. This was potentially 5k more than me. Lad started and told me how much he was on prior to arriving suggesting he was on 33k.
Went and had it out with my gaffer who said he would get me the same etc. Low and behold didn’t get the big payrise and got the big standard 2.5%. I’ve had to train the new guy up and also had to show the other 2 over the years the same training etc.

Now I’ve found out another engineer s job has came up in another department which I quite fancy. But the job has no salary advertised.
My next move is critical for my family etc. So do I stick at this place or move on to somewhere else where I can expect salary’s of over 34/35k.

I'd be fuming if this was me. No way should new starters be earning more than experienced staff when doing the same job.

What happened in the end?

Need a bit advice

Haway man on tenterhooks here

In the end I raised a grievance against the company. Got no where. Was told my performances over the ten year period were average. That always equalled a payrise of 1.5-2.5% nearly every year and told by all my gaffers my work was always good. Never once was I told my performances were average or poor. I’m still at the place. On the look out for a new challenge.

In the end I raised a grievance against the company. Got no where. Was told my performances over the ten year period were average. That always equalled a payrise of 1.5-2.5% nearly every year and told by all my gaffers my work was always good. Never once was I told my performances were average or poor. I’m still at the place. On the look out for a new challenge.
good luck marra, find summat better then fuck them off!

Update - sick of the place now. Been off on the sick for a few months due to a operation and now I’ve returned the wankers have not given me my annual payrise and blamed on my performance. My objectives for the year were hit and I can’t believe this. One of my objectives was to train all the technicians and the new engineer in a certain area of the plant which I did. I trained the engineer for ten months until my operation came round. Low and behold he got a payrise I never. Looks like grievance has cost me my payrise. I’ve also had most of my jobs taken off me and spread around others in the department without me even been made aware of this. I only found out when a contractor came onsite and needed a purchase order raising for him. I’m sure these are now trying to push me out. I’m done in now. On the look out for a new job.

Update - sick of the place now. Been off on the sick for a few months due to a operation and now I’ve returned the wankers have not given me my annual payrise and blamed on my performance. My objectives for the year were hit and I can’t believe this. One of my objectives was to train all the technicians and the new engineer in a certain area of the plant which I did. I trained the engineer for ten months until my operation came round. Low and behold he got a payrise I never. Looks like grievance has cost me my payrise. I’ve also had most of my jobs taken off me and spread around others in the department without me even been made aware of this. I only found out when a contractor came onsite and needed a purchase order raising for him. I’m sure these are now trying to push me out. I’m done in now. On the look out for a new job.

What would you have expected them to have done given that you have been off for a few months?
As a manager I am always cautious around any communication with staff who are on the sick, too easy to claim further down the line you were trying to rush them back.

I would look to document all this, especially how you've met your objectives the last year and anything you have that shows you were rated good in the past. This would partly be because you may need to show a prospective new employer why you're leaving, and partly because you have a decent case for constructive dismissal by the sounds of it

I’d try and gauge if they are trying to push you out, and see if any redundancy is on offer.
Don’t be too hasty and play the long game, go in, do your work and dont upset the apple cart. In this situation it’s too easy to fly off the handle and make it worse for yourself, keep calm and professional.

I’d try and gauge if they are trying to push you out, and see if any redundancy is on offer.
Don’t be too hasty and play the long game, go in, do your work and dont upset the apple cart. In this situation it’s too easy to fly off the handle and make it worse for yourself, keep calm and professional.
Funny you should mention redundancy. The company has made a few people redundant over the last few months. While I was off a few people contacted me from our department and said that I was going be made redundant when I returned. When I returned I was told this was untrue. This has been a constant worry for me and my family over this time. I’ve just got my head down and I’m doing my job as I always do. I wish I’d never rocked the boat now about my wages. All went down hill since then.

Back