Words you don't hear anymore no.3127

Impittant

One of me mams favourite she meant impertinent or impudent

She would say “she’s the essence of impittance” which was often shortened to “she’s the dead essence” about a cheeky child. 😆
I'd forgot about those two " Impittant and essence " My mams description of me when I was a young lad, "he's the essence getting" As I got older, Happy days.

Buckshee. Often used by my Dad, as in wanting to know if the last slice of cake was 'going buckshee'. I've mentioned it before and someone on here said it originated in army slang. Which would be appropriate for Dad.
I think it’s derived from backsheesh (Arabic?) meaning a tip or bribe i.e. something for nothing. Used in Africa and parts of Asia it could well have been adopted and modified by posted servicemen.

I think it’s derived from backsheesh (Arabic?) meaning a tip or bribe i.e. something for nothing. Used in Africa and parts of Asia it could well have been adopted and modified by posted servicemen.

That would make sense. My granda would use the term wallah in certain contexts to mean buy, sell, buyer or seller. It originated from tea wallahs and he picked it up when he served in WW2 in Burma alongside the British Raj.

Back