words and phrases that annoy you

"Adulting"

Depends how they're using it surely? Ones an adjective, the other is a verb.

"Cocaine is very addictive"
Vs
"I am addicting my self to cocaine by snorting loads of lines"
'The game is very addicting'. It's really common on gaming sites if you frequent them. As for your second example, I'd have went for addicted as it just doesn't sound right. :lol: 'I'm addicted to cocaine'.

Last edited by a moderator:
'The game is very addicting'. It's really common on gaming sites if you frequent them. As for your second example, I'd have went for addicted as it just doesn't sound right. :lol: 'I'm addicted to cocaine'.
But you aren't addicted, yet. You're addicting yourself. :p

"The game is very addicting" wouldn't be grammatically incorrect in that context (as would addictive). That's fine though, this is "words and phrases that annoy you" rather than "words and phrases that people use incorrectly" :lol:

Salt of the earth

Always said about an absolute scum bag type person usually after they have been locked up or caught in the middle of some crime.

“Wor Billy had his run ins with the police and was a lad about town, but he loved his Ma’ and would do anything for people who knew him. Salt of the earth.”

But you aren't addicted, yet. You're addicting yourself. :p

"The game is very addicting" wouldn't be grammatically incorrect in that context (as would addictive). That's fine though, this is "words and phrases that annoy you" rather than "words and phrases that people use incorrectly" :lol:
It might not be grammatically incorrect per se, but addicting in that context is certainly non-standard. I'd always do addictive not addicting as I'm sure most people would. It doesn't read well at all when you see it IMHO. Always has me rolling my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salt of the earth

Always said about an absolute scum bag type person usually after they have been locked up or caught in the middle of some crime.

“Wor Billy had his run ins with the police and was a lad about town, but he loved his Ma’ and would do anything for people who knew him. Salt of the earth.”

I think that phrase is not quite the right one to be used in this case. 😂
People who are described as 'the salt of the earth' are those who are considered to be honest and of great worth and reliability.

Not an annoying phrase - but annoying that people get it wrong.

"Hoi Polloi" - means ""the masses or the people"", and has been used to describe the working class, commoners, the masses or common people.

A lot of people seem to think it means the upper class or posh folk - which is completely the opposite.

Back