WOR DIALECT

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WheyHey

I read the thread 'Local Sayings and thought I would add me tuppence worth :eek:

I think one thing is for certain, the North East dialect, for it is far more than an accent, is a wonderful assimilation of the many languages used during various times in the region. One must remember that the land North of the river Humber until 1913 was regarded as a wilderness and good only for exploitation. The vast majority of the population were poor peasants. Communities were, in the most, small and isolated, a bit like Ryhope. Hence fashions were unheard of or unaffordable. Things changed little or very slowly.

When I speak of the many languages used. I do not mean forced down our throats and into our larynx by conquering armies. Languages adopted under these circumstances are despised and usually dropped as soon as the conqueror retreats. Take for instance the Celts. The Cornish, Welsh, and Manx Gaelic languages are thriving now! I believe that the North East was never really conquered and that the snippets of language adopted by the area are because the locals were fond of the words. The peoples non-native to the area were allowed to stay as the hospitality of North Easterners has always been as legendary as that of the ancient Japanese, and because these incomers had something of benefit to offer. An argument may ensue regarding the occupation of the far North East but lets look at the facts.

The Celts passed through on their way West. They cannot have lingered as there are very few red haired people in the region. In fact gingerness is accepted as abhorrent. Little of their lingo survives either. A few exceptions are abhag meaning 'terrier'; and 'aayai' meaning 'come on';. Terriers (Abhagf) are still animals held in great regard by Northerners; "Once he gets his teeth in" "He fought like a terrier" etc. however apply these descriptions to a woman and things are different. Hence "Divant argue with wor lass shes abhag."

'aayai' is pronounced 'a' (ha) 'ay' (w) 'ai' (ay) = haway, as in "haway the lads."

The Romans made a half-hearted attempt, settling as far North as York (soft Southerners). Their time in the region was again limited to planning and supervising the building of Hadrian's Wall. Seen as a benefit, the people of the North East built the wall in a hope to isolate themselves further from the ginger people to the North. The workmanship in the wall is remarkable but it is widely recognised by scholars that the architects were poor, in that had the river Tyne been used as a barrier and the wall been built on the South bank further benefits could have been had. Latin words adopted are such as; stottie (a sort of Roman sandwich) as in stottie cake. t'otti (descriptive phrase meaning hot blooded often used to describe young women).

The Roman decline in Briton was due, mainly to the wall. All soldiers were required to do one tour of duty, lasting a year, on the wall. Leather mini skirts and sandals are not practical dress for men in the North of England (apart from in Newcastle's thriving gay village). Stories of ferocious midges, freezing winds, constant rain and ugly auburn people showing off their arses soon reach Rome. Volunteers for the Legions dropped and the empire crumbled.

Next arrived the Vikings. The most loved of all the visitors. Contrary to popular belief they did not come ashore raping and pillaging. This is Victorian romance. Anyone who has met Scandinavians will soon tell you they don't have a good rape or pilage in them. The sacking of Lindisfarne was down to an over zealous monk calling time too early in a mead hostel. Vikings did like to consume vast quantities of alcohol. This is probably why even todays modern Scandinavian languages have very few words. Take Norwegian. The Norwegian language has only 83 words in common use. Including 'nowt'; (zero), ten of these are numbers! Of course one word has many meanings. For example take 'bern' this means farmer, bean, pray, hunt, bear, river, fire, etc.

This is greatly demonstrated in the classical poem by Jan Tore Brevigson;
"A Bean Farmer Went a Hunting"

"Og Bern Bern ot Bern"

Og Bern Bern ot Bern.
Bern bern gren.
Bern bern bern ot og bern.

Og Bern Bern ot Bern.
Bern.
Bern bern bern bern ot bern bern.
BERN!

Og Bern Bern ot Bern.
Gren og bern
Ot bern bern
Og bern.

This poem is guaranteed, if recited with the correct emphasis, to produce peels of laughter anywhere in Europe, North of the Artic Circle.

The North Easterners of old loved these amicable drunks and took them into their hearts. Many Viking words exist in the Northern dialect. "Barn"; meaning child among many other things, is where we take our bairns from. "Yhem" for home. "Gate" meaning street "Noo I've oft been doon to Sand Gate" etc. "Hopp" pronounced Lopp means jump and or any animal that moves in that way such as rabbit, frog, flea, prawn, grasshopper etc. Just as well a Norwegian didn't discover Australia! Oh and be careful if you ever order rabbit pie in Norway!

Such was the love of these nonsense jibbering pissheads that many married Northerners and there decendants live hear today. They are easy to identify as all Scandinavian surnames end in 'son' or 'sen'
eg. Robson, Wilkinson etc.

Next the Normans..... You'll have to wait :wink:

WheyHey said:
"Og Bern Bern ot Bern"

Og Bern Bern ot Bern.
Bern bern gren.

Og Bern Bern ot Bern.
Bern.
BERN!

Og Bern Bern ot Bern.
Gren og bern
Ot bern bern
Og bern.

This poem is guaranteed, if recited with the correct emphasis, to produce peels of laughter anywhere in Europe, North of the Artic Circle.

So that's where Baldrick nicked his epic war poem Boom Boom Boom Boom...etc from! Now I understand....LMAO :D

Great post! copied it for my kids to read, both born and raised abroad, now they'll they know why they speak with a "funny" english accent.

Such was the love of these nonsense jibbering pissheads that many married Northerners and there decendants live hear today. They are easy to identify as all Scandinavian surnames end in 'son' or 'sen'

It's nice to know my ancestors were all gibbering pissheads as far as memory goes and not just the recent ones. At least now I know why I get the urge to put on a horned helmet, sail accross the North Sea and rob a few monastries.

Any other _son's about here?

And were they really like this http://www.rathergood.com/val_halal/

WheyHey said:
This is greatly demonstrated in the classical poem by Jan Tore Brevigson;
"A Bean Farmer Went a Hunting"

"Og Bern Bern ot Bern"

Og Bern Bern ot Bern.
Bern bern gren.

Og Bern Bern ot Bern.
Bern.
BERN!

Og Bern Bern ot Bern.
Gren og bern
Ot bern bern
Og bern.
Are you sure that poem isn't dedicated to our all-conquering champions league right back,mr haas?

WheyHey said:
Take for instance the Celts. The Cornish, Welsh, and Manx Gaelic languages are thriving now!

But you should note that's Scots Gaelic is very much in decline. That being my actual first language (I couldn't read English books until I was at least 8 years old) it saddens me but doesn't surprise me given the arrogant attitude of West Highlanders who speak it as their mother tongue.

There is a definite sense - of predominantly Gaelic speaking villages in Easter Ross and North West Scotland villages - that you are somehow more Scottish than the rest of the country if you speak the language as opposed to English. They therefore try to guard and keep jealously what they know as a secret rather than expand it and spread the word.

I'm often subjected to this arrogant attitude when I head North, on the assumption that someone with a Southern English accent is an outsider. Telling them to shut their f***ing mouths in Gaelic with a full-on and exaggerated Essex voice is one of life's great pleasures!

Wales lead the way with tv channels, radio stations and plenty of daily press in the Welsh language. I wish the Highlanders would follow suit :|

Baz Mac II said:
WheyHey said:
Take for instance the Celts. The Cornish, Welsh, and Manx Gaelic languages are thriving now!

But you should note that's Scots Gaelic is very much in decline.

Aye Baz,

I was been sarcy. For example, I used to visit the I.O.M. every year for the T.T. Last there in 1998. (I think! Far too much grog). Then there was only one bhoy left that could speak Manx fluently. Found this v. strange as many of the road signs were in both languages. Lets hope some one took enough interest to keep it going.

P.S. Love the shut your f..ing mouth in Gaelic thing. I'm married to a Scot, but not a real one! She's a sasanach fra auld reeky. Dead embarrassing when she moved here. She she was always shouting "gär' dè lòò'" and then throwing shit out of the window :wink:

WheyHey said:
Vikings did like to consume vast quantities of alcohol. This is probably why even todays modern Scandinavian languages have very few words. Take Norwegian. The Norwegian language has only 83 words in common use. Including 'nowt'; (zero), ten of these are numbers! Of course one word has many meanings. For example take 'bern' this means farmer, bean, pray, hunt, bear, river, fire, etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Quality post!!

Well done Whey Hey (I'm a _son too.)
Can't wait for the next installment.
Gold and a Melvyn Bragg award.

demonrightback said:

It's nice to know my ancestors were all gibbering pissheads as far as memory goes and not just the recent ones. At least now I know why I get the urge to put on a horned helmet, sail accross the North Sea and rob a few monastries.

Any other _son's about here?

And were they really like this http://www.rathergood.com/val_halal/

My great grandfather came from Holmstrad in Norway. he ran away to sea at the age of 13 and settled in Sunderland in the late 1800's. He was an Andersonn but dropped the "n" after a while. My mother has told me endless stories of his drinking habits and his personality etc and ive been told that his ways have definitely been passed down thru the generations hence the fact that when i tried to grow a beard a few years ago i could only get it to grow below the jawline which is supposedly a viking trait. Maybe wrong tho! I couldnt rape and pillage a tailors dummy mind :D

another history lesson

The Romans the Normans the Vikings They came they saw but never fully conquered JARRA :wink:
JARROW : THE HOME OF BEDE
Despite its modern industrial appearance, Jarrow, on the south bank of the River Tyne to the east of Gateshead is one of the most historic towns in the North East of England. Its early history is centred around a humble Anglo-Saxon church dedicated to St Paul, which overlooks the Don, a small river that joins the Tyne in the industrial surroundings of the mud flats called Jarrow slake.
St Pauls was founded by a Northumbrian noble called Benedict Biscop, in the seventh century A.D, as a twin monastery for that at St Peters Monkwearmouth. The dedication stone for the church is the oldest in the country, dating the building to the 23rd April of the year 681 A.D. There are however two older churches in the North East of England at Monkwearmouth, Sunderland and at Escomb, County Durham.
Biscop's Saxon monastery at Jarrow was a great centre of English learning and is famed the world over as the historic home of the Venerable Bede, (673-735 A.D).
Bede came to Jarrow at the age of twelve, where he was later the author of over forty scholarly works, including the `Historia Ecclesiastica Gentis Anglorum' of A.D 731. This translates to `The History of the English Church and People' and is a major source for the greater part of our knowledge of Anglo-Saxon England. Bede was without doubt the first historian of England and is widely regarded as the `candle' of the period of history we call the `Dark Ages'. The tomb of Bede can be seen in Durham cathedral.
AN UNSUCCESSFUL VIKING ATTACK
In 794 A.D, sixty three years after the death of St Bede, Jarrow was to witness one of the earliest Viking raids on the mainland of Britain. Biscop's monastery was severely burnt by the Vikings, but their leader was caught by the local Anglo-Saxons and he was put to death.
In their attempt to flee from the monastery, the rest of the unfortunate Vikings were caught in a violent storm and were shipwrecked. Many were cast ashore, where they were mercilessly slain by the monks of Jarrow.
Jarrow was not so lucky in later Viking raids, in 875 A.D, the monastery was sacked more succesfully and remained a ruin until the time of the Norman conquest. Two curious statues of Viking warriors in Jarrow's modern town centre commemorate the Viking raids. The Vikings seem to have been raiders, rather than settlers at Jarrow.
ROMAN STONES FROM JARROW
Although Jarrow is historically more closely associated with the Anglo-Saxon, rather than the Roman period, it has a number of interesting connections with the Roman wall. Roman stones were used in the construction of the Anglo-Saxon monastery of St Pauls here and in 1866 two inscribed Roman stones were found during repairs on its nave. The wording on the stones could only be partly seen, but appeared to read;
`The Barbarians were scattered
and the province of Britain freed.
A boundary was established
between the two oceans
a distance of 80 miles....'
A leading authority on the Roman Wall has suggested that these inscribed stones belonged to a statue dedicated to the Emperor Hadrian, which may possibly have stood at the mouth of the River Tyne.
The Venerable Bede, during his time at Jarrow, was well aware of the significant Roman remains in the vicinity and he was the first Anglo-Saxon to record the existence of Hadrian's Wall. It was Bede that gave the name `Vallum' to the defensive Roman earthwork that runs just to the south of Hadrian's Wall
:D

Re: another history lesson

JARRABRANCHSAFCSA said:
The Romans the Normans the Vikings They came they saw but never fully conquered JARRA :wink:

Cheers JARRABRANCHSAFCSA

Telt yees all and yoos thought I was extracting the urine :wink:

Well I think they should have erected a replica statue of Hadrian at the mouth of the tyne rather than that rusting angel thingy

JARRABRANCHSAFCSA said:
Despite its modern industrial appearance, Jarrow, on the south bank of the River Tyne to the east of Gateshead is one of the most historic towns in the North East of England. Its early history is centred around a humble Anglo-Saxon church dedicated to St Paul, which overlooks the Don, a small river that joins the Tyne in the industrial surroundings of the mud flats called Jarrow slake.
St Pauls was founded by a Northumbrian noble called Benedict Biscop, in the seventh century A.D, as a twin monastery for that at St Peters Monkwearmouth. The dedication stone for the church is the oldest in the country, dating the building to the 23rd April of the year 681 A.D. There are however two older churches in the North East of England at Monkwearmouth, Sunderland and at Escomb, County Durham.
Biscop's Saxon monastery at Jarrow was a great centre of English learning and is famed the world over as the historic home of the Venerable Bede, (673-735 A.D).
Bede came to Jarrow at the age of twelve, where he was later the author of over forty scholarly works, including the `Historia Ecclesiastica Gentis Anglorum' of A.D 731. This translates to `The History of the English Church and People' and is a major source for the greater part of our knowledge of Anglo-Saxon England. Bede was without doubt the first historian of England and is widely regarded as the `candle' of the period of history we call the `Dark Ages'. The tomb of Bede can be seen in Durham cathedral.
In 794 A.D, sixty three years after the death of St Bede, Jarrow was to witness one of the earliest Viking raids on the mainland of Britain. Biscop's monastery was severely burnt by the Vikings, but their leader was caught by the local Anglo-Saxons and he was put to death.
In their attempt to flee from the monastery, the rest of the unfortunate Vikings were caught in a violent storm and were shipwrecked. Many were cast ashore, where they were mercilessly slain by the monks of Jarrow.
Jarrow was not so lucky in later Viking raids, in 875 A.D, the monastery was sacked more succesfully and remained a ruin until the time of the Norman conquest. Two curious statues of Viking warriors in Jarrow's modern town centre commemorate the Viking raids. The Vikings seem to have been raiders, rather than settlers at Jarrow.
ROMAN STONES FROM JARROW
Although Jarrow is historically more closely associated with the Anglo-Saxon, rather than the Roman period, it has a number of interesting connections with the Roman wall. Roman stones were used in the construction of the Anglo-Saxon monastery of St Pauls here and in 1866 two inscribed Roman stones were found during repairs on its nave. The wording on the stones could only be partly seen, but appeared to read;
between the two oceans
A leading authority on the Roman Wall has suggested that these inscribed stones belonged to a statue dedicated to the Emperor Hadrian, which may possibly have stood at the mouth of the River Tyne.
The Venerable Bede, during his time at Jarrow, was well aware of the significant Roman remains in the vicinity and he was the first Anglo-Saxon to record the existence of Hadrian's Wall. It was Bede that gave the name `Vallum' to the defensive Roman earthwork that runs just to the south of Hadrian's Wall

But it's neewhere near as good as South Shields.

I see you missed the important last bit off that essay there Jarra. Shame on you.

GK said:
JARRABRANCHSAFCSA said:
ROMAN STONES FROM JARROW
between the two oceans

But it's neewhere near as good as South Shields.

I see you missed the important last bit off that essay there Jarra. Shame on you.

aye shields rules

sanddancers of the world unite!!

stinky friggin jarra :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back