Woodstock ‘99

Imagine thinking you can create an atmosphere of love and peace with pissed up frat boys in a military setting with Korn, Limp Bizkit and rage against the machine.

I didn't know who Limp Bizkit were when I first moved to Dallas in '99
But it struck me how many wannabe hardmen wore the fitted baseball cap backwards, baggy jeans and skater t-shirts, trying to look mean as fuck in the shopping malls and bowling alleys. Coming fresh from the UK, I just thought they looked f***ing ridiculous. Durst was adored back then.
Don’t get me wrong, they’ve got some bangers IMO. But I’ve always detested him.

Don’t get me wrong, they’ve got some bangers IMO. But I’ve always detested him.
Me too, he always struck me as a dangerous narcissist but also very charismatic. He wouldn't have given a fuck about those getting hurt at Woodstock as long as all eyes were on him. It's almost laughable that the commentator said that Durst could've calmed it down. I was astonished at how naive that statement was.

Me too, he always struck me as a dangerous narcissist but also very charismatic. He wouldn't have given a fuck about those getting hurt at Woodstock as long as all eyes were on him. It's almost laughable that the commentator said that Durst could've calmed it down. I was astonished at how naive that statement was.
Yeah, there was zero chance of him doing anything damage limitation wise.

Watched both the Netflix and hbo documentaries over the weekend. That John scher guy is some tool. Complete lack of self awareness and just unwilling to accept any blame for anything.
Blaming the girls being topless for them being assaulted and then doubling down in the Netflix one saying that any city with that population would have a similar rape count over the weekend is just disgusting.

Watched both the Netflix and hbo documentaries over the weekend. That John scher guy is some tool. Complete lack of self awareness and just unwilling to accept any blame for anything.
Blaming the girls being topless for them being assaulted and then doubling down in the Netflix one saying that any city with that population would have a similar rape count over the weekend is just disgusting.
Where can I view the HBO doc? Have to sign up for their service?

Just finished it. What a pair of wankers Scher and Lang were.

Also, as much as Fred Durst incited a riot on the Saturday, I thought the Chili Peppers were worse. When the mayor asks Anthony Kiedis if he could calm the crowd down when it started to go south and he says "sorry its not in my control", then goes out and plays Jimi Hendrix's Fire as an encore :eek:
Been on Sky Docs a couple of times recently. Look for music box series.

Magic, thanks.

that any city with that population would have a similar rape count over the weekend is just disgusting.

i don't know what the small cities in the USA are like, but sunderland has more inhabitants than woodstock 99, and i don't think we average 4 rapes every weekend in this city

You can guarantee they weren’t the ones ripping down the soundstage and the walls though.
I'd say a few of them did. Blaming alcohol is like blaming the weather. If you treat people like animals they'll acted like animals. The drink and drugs didn't help and neither did the music.

The water situation was disgusting. Both the price and the lack of. Seems mental to me to blame the bands for creating a riot.

The water situation was disgusting. Both the price and the lack of. Seems mental to me to blame the bands for creating a riot.
Agreed. It’s weird that there’s no mention of RATM in either documentary. You’d have thought if any band would set the crowd off it would’ve been them

Just watched the HBO doc and like another poster pointed out about Fred Durst getting the blame but the equally as shit Red Hot Chilli Peppers were just as guilty, as well as having a bass player bollock naked. But it was sad watching it how it says how music went from Kurt Cobain and Nirvana to Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock in the space of about 5 years but I definitely think that The Chilli Peppers and Rage Against The Machine were a bridge from one to the other. On a side note I bet it was exhilarating being part of it kicking off after being ripped off and treat like shite all weekend, to be a part of the momentum of pure anarchy.

i don't know what the small cities in the USA are like, but sunderland has more inhabitants than woodstock 99, and i don't think we average 4 rapes every weekend in this city

No doubt this will cause outrage, but would incidents increase if women walked about completely naked and there wasn't police/security around?

(it shouldn't cause controversy tbf but I know what this place is like so I'm no doubt seen as blaming the women lol).

I said it earlier on thread, to me it didnt look like they were all drinking heavily, especially when everyone was kicking off with the prices?

They were more outraged at the prices of water tbf. And given the choice, where some may have bought water had it been cheaper, they chose drink. That's not to say drink was the cause mind (but some were definitely pissed). It was a combination of the culture/attitude amongst young men in the US, the choice of artists/the music industry at the time, the lack of security (slightly worrying but shows what humans will do if they realise they can do what they want) and being treat like shite. The relentless heat didnt help either.

It all came together in a perfect storm.

That was pretty much standard, I wasn't surprised at that. The water had been turned off in the bathrooms altogether at every indoor music event I'd ever been to in the US at that time. There were outdoor events in Texas where the water was more expensive than the beer.

Back