Wood Burning Stove Users

Basically yes. I burn my free wood and my fan helps push the heat out and is powered by burning my free wood.
I never thought I'd turn into a boring middle aged gadgie who gets satisfaction from that :cry:

As a very young man I once sat in a bait cabin on a building site in Cleadon listening as two old gadgies talked about the relative merits of their rupture trusses. They were in their mid fifties at the time I guess.
I thought of that line from that pop combo `The Who`... you know... `Hope I die before I get old.´

I´m now in my late 60s. Funny how your things change as you are getting on a bit eh? :(

If it isn’t powered by convection then precisely what makes the fan blades turn ?
Something to do with 2 different metals, temperature difference between them causes current to flow through a little motor which turns the blades. It is a clever thing.

There is no motor.
Nobody have a clue ?
Surely it must be convection.

There is a motor. It's a thermoelectric motor driven by the voltage generated between two semiconductors (a peltier device) at different temperatures (the top and the bottom of the fan). The greater the differential, the greater the voltage. Hence the very hot base in contact with the stove top and the cooler top of the fan frame as a radiator. The fan blades draw cooler air through the frame thus increasing the temperature differential. They work well. There's a point at which you can start them by hand just as the generated voltage is enough to maintain motion whilst being insufficient to overcome the blade starting torque.

There is a motor. It's a thermoelectric motor driven by the voltage generated between two semiconductors (a peltier device) at different temperatures (the top and the bottom of the fan). The greater the differential, the greater the voltage. Hence the very hot base in contact with the stove top and the cooler top of the fan frame as a radiator. The fan blades draw cooler air through the frame thus increasing the temperature differential. They work well. There's a point at which you can start them by hand just as the generated voltage is enough to maintain motion whilst being insufficient to overcome the blade starting torque.

Comprehensive explanation much appreciated.

There is no motor.
Nobody have a clue ?
Surely it must be convection.
Its a motor

A bit more comprehensive than my answer :lol:

Back