Wood Burning Pizza Ovens

San Marzano minis in Lidl of all places for the last six weeks yo.

Fresh, FYI; except for an almost invisible skin which is good texturally - they're ordinary in taste.

Think I've got a cracking dough recipe sorted now, the results are outstanding through the frying pan method, would love to try one in an Ooni.

Obviously can't get the charring on an electric grill. You can brown it but it's a fine line between a bit of colour and overcooking it.

Logon or register to see this image

I'll share mine if you share yours?

Foolproof Pan Pizza Recipe - its a "no-knead" dough. Works really well as a cast iron pizza (pizza hut style)

Made this beer pizza dough over the weekend with a German pilsner. I can't say the finished pizza tasted of the beer but it definitely had a sour flavour, different to a standard pizza dough. Going to give it a try with some different beers.

Tremendous bit of kit. Mine has been on 3 times in 6 days so far.

Mine was probably on 6 times in the first 3 days when I first got the Koda 16!

Never get bored....recently tried a toasted butternut squash base, and also a tremendous duck and hoisin creation.

Beer dough is a good shout too, used various IPA’s and even a sour with cracking results

God bless Mr Ooni

I’d still be useless with one of these, my dough makings getting worse. Been using a mixer to do it but it’s turning out dog shit.

Mine has never been more consistent since I started doing it by hand mate....and the mixing!

Bit more time consuming, but infinitely better than when used the bread maker pizza dough prog.....it's like voodoo with the hydration and all that carry on, but I've found a couple of methods that work and am sticking to them :lol:

Practice innit......and practice makes perfect (and fattness!)

This, it's a doddle. Can't see what people struggle with? You put flour and water together and knead it, that's it!

you reckon?

Different flour types with different protein, Hydration levels, varying temperature, over proving, under proving, yeast issues....etc

making a good dough takes a bit of effort and understanding....I’ve made some right piles of shite.

You must have the voodoo

Mine has never been more consistent since I started doing it by hand mate....and the mixing!

Bit more time consuming, but infinitely better than when used the bread maker pizza dough prog.....it's like voodoo with the hydration and all that carry on, but I've found a couple of methods that work and am sticking to them :lol:

Practice innit......and practice makes perfect (and fattness!)
I’ve had them turn out really tasty but recently they’ve been tight and don’t like being stretched. I’ve been using an online pizza calculator to make Neapolitan style ones and they do taste good but I’d say half the time the dough doesn’t stretch well and rips.
if you haven’t used it, it’s worth downloading pizzapp on your phone to assist in making dough
I’ll give it a whirl. I was using an online one and they were tasting better, but dunno if I’ve been under or over mixing. The trouble seems to come when it comes to shaping it.

Last edited:
I’ve had them turn out really tasty but recently they’ve been tight and don’t like being stretched. I’ve been using an online pizza calculator to make Neapolitan style ones and they do taste good but I’d say half the time the dough doesn’t stretch well and rips.

I’ll give it a whirl. I was using an online one and they were tasting better, but dunno if I’ve been under or over mixing. The trouble seems to come when it comes to shaping it.
You’re not kneading it enough for the gluten strands to form. Needs to be capable of stretching without breaking. Use the window test. Also worth allowing the flour & water to autolyse before kneading.

could be down to not kneading it enough, doing it by hand might give you a better idea of how the dough changes is as you work it....windowpane test is a good barometer, as mentioned

Also are you proving long enough? I tend to do bulk at room temp for 14hrs, then ball up for another 4.....beer dough is a lot quicker and has been easy to work with whenever I’ve used it.
it’s a minefield:)

Pizza base and tomato sauce recipes | Dan Lepard

Back