Wood Burning Pizza Ovens

Sounds like a lot of messing around and hard work for something that'll be used two or three times in the beginning then gathers dust until it's hoyed on the tip in 5 years time

Anyone just use a pizza stone in a normal oven?

Been making pizza dough in the bread machine all week and trying to get the bases crispy is hard. Not going to buy a separate oven or owt, but wondering if a stone would make a difference and is worth the faff? (And any recommendations?)
Last night for New York style pizza (which is cooked at a more conventional temperature than a pizza oven). Ya just have to set the oven away on full with the stone in for an hour.

I did two pizzas on two stones.

As for your crispy base - if you're putting the pizza on a hard flat surface straight from cooking, the heat of the pizza against the surface will create moisture and the base will go soft. Stick 'em in a rack like @Casper.
Logon or register to see this image

Fingers crossed this works 😂

Did it work then?

Last edited:
Last night for New York style pizza (which is cooked at a more conventional temperature than a pizza oven). Ya just have to set the oven away on full with the stone in for an hour.

I did two pizzas on two stones.

As for your crispy base - if you're putting the pizza on a hard flat surface straight from cooking, the heat of the pizza against the surface will create moisture and the base will go soft. Stick 'em in a rack like @Casper.

Did it work then?
Aye worked a treat. Not as good as straight out the oven but much better than anything frozen you can buy.

Just topped them then stuck them in the oven for 10 mins to defrost

Nowt wrong with wonky pizza, mine are rarely round.
Like the idea of putting the pizza on a rack to keep the base crisp might try that.
Been told to use semolina to stop the pizza sticking to the peel, use flour normally but it sometimes doesn’t work.

Like the idea of putting the pizza on a rack to keep the base crisp might try that.
Been told to use semolina to stop the pizza sticking to the peel, use flour normally but it sometimes doesn’t work.

I'm rubbish at the pizzas but can confirm the semolina does work. Gives the base a nice texture as well.

Add semolina to your pizza dough before kneading gives a nice colour and texture.

I tend to use flour for launching off a couple of cheap wooden peels I got off Amazon.

Followed the ooni website recipe Using the Sainsbury’s 00 pasta flour as that’s all I could find.

It’s been proving for over and hour and it doesn’t seem to have budged. No idea if it was over needed/under needed etc.

Followed the ooni website recipe Using the Sainsbury’s 00 pasta flour as that’s all I could find.

It’s been proving for over and hour and it doesn’t seem to have budged. No idea if it was over needed/under needed etc.
Yeast content to temp in room is one of the biggest factors.

I made that mistake recently had the app set at over 22° as last time I used it was the summer. Kitchen was probably 17 max.

Back