Wood Burning Pizza Ovens

@Thewper1 seems to knock out some beauty pizzas using something similar, he’s defo worth asking.

I’ve had an Ooni 3 for about 3 years, novelty still hasn’t worn off and it gets used on the regular.

Started with pellets but moved to gas which is way less of a fuck on and unless you’re a proper pizza bore, the difference in taste is negligible.

It’s ready to go in about 20 mins and will do a few pizzas on the bounce before the stone needs a few mins to get back to temp.

If I was to replace it, I’d get the Ooni Koda 16.

Roccbox seem decent especially if you want to knock out loads off the bounce, but apparently the wood burner isn’t that great, so you rely on gas too. There’s always a lot of rivalry between owners of both but sensible opinion seems to be both will do the job.l equally well.

Good luck getting flour and yeast at the minute like, rarer than bog roll!

I’ve had an Ooni 3 for about 3 years, novelty still hasn’t worn off and it gets used on the regular.

Started with pellets but moved to gas which is way less of a fuck on and unless you’re a proper pizza bore, the difference in taste is negligible.

It’s ready to go in about 20 mins and will do a few pizzas on the bounce before the stone needs a few mins to get back to temp.

If I was to replace it, I’d get the Ooni Koda 16.

Roccbox seem decent especially if you want to knock out loads off the bounce, but apparently the wood burner isn’t that great, so you rely on gas too. There’s always a lot of rivalry between owners of both but sensible opinion seems to be both will do the job.l equally well.

Good luck getting flour and yeast at the minute like, rarer than bog roll!

I have a few containers of 00 flour :D

tell me though, with the gas burner do you get the charred black bits I like on the base and crust?

tell me though, with the gas burner do you get the charred black bits I like on the base and crust?
If you have a decent pizza stone which has been seasoned for a while, you'll get the black marks no matter what. I use an electric pizza oven which cooks a pizza in about 3 minutes and they come out crispy and with all the look, feel and taste of a wood fired pizza.

me too...went halfas on a 25kg sack last week.

The char will come from the heat of the stone for the base (gets to approx 450 deg C after 20 mins) and the Oven for the crusts. You need to turn the pizza 3 or 4 times during the cook to make sure crusts are evenly charred though.

The main benefit of wood is the taste, but like I said, I’d trade that for the ease of gas all day long....at the risk of infuriating the purists!
Any particular reason, other than size? (fnaar fnaar)

No, that’s it mate, more often than not doing Pizzas for 4 so it would just make it easier to feed everyone as seem to cook in the same time as a one 2/3 of the size.....saying that we’d probably still have 1 each, just a ferk off big one :)

Last edited:

The char will come from the heat of the stone for the base (gets to approx 450 deg C after 20 mins) and the Oven for the crusts. You need to turn the pizza 3 or 4 times during the cook to make sure crusts are evenly charred though.

The main benefit of wood is the taste, but like I said, I’d trade that for the ease of gas all day long....at the risk of infuriating the purists!

No, that’s it mate, more often than not doing Pizzas for 4 so it would just make it easier to feed everyone as seem to cook in the same time as a one 2/3 of the size.....saying that we’d probably still have 1 each, just a ferk off big one :)
Bollocks, looks like I'll be buying the 16" version then. the wife will be delighted when I get round to informing her of this unilateral decision........

Where did you get get the sack of flour? I'm down to my last kg... Struggling to find anywhere that are not taking the piss in price or delivery. Cheers

If you have a decent pizza stone which has been seasoned for a while, you'll get the black marks no matter what. I use an electric pizza oven which cooks a pizza in about 3 minutes and they come out crispy and with all the look, feel and taste of a wood fired pizza.
Is your electric pizza ovens one of the GFerrari fellas? I’ve got one (need to reclaim it from the ex) and they’re excellent. Think I found it on eBay for £40.

Where did you get get the sack of flour? I'm down to my last kg... Struggling to find anywhere that are not taking the piss in price or delivery. Cheers

Someone I know got it from that Nico Rossi place in Hendon. Not sure if they are relaxing their trade only rules and supplying to the public so might be worth a call.

They only do 25kg sacks so I went halfies and just bagged it into smaller quantities. Was about £20 for the 25kg and excellent quality.

Kids are now experts in Foccacia and Pasta making.

Back