Wood Burning Pizza Ovens

How long do you usually prove the dough for James? Only just made ours tonight and a lot of places seem to recommend 2-4 days, but we were gonna have it tomorrow...

Generally do 24hrs as the minimum. I reckon unless you're looking for utter perfection or in no rush, it's diminishing returns after that for the time you have to wait.

It'll depend on how much yeast you put into it mind. If you've kept it light it might need a bit longer. I'm no expert like, but ours have been turning out well. Last night's was 24hrs and it was class.

This lot cold proved overnight then a second proving once in balls for a couple hours

The recipes I’ve seen recommend proving at room temperature for anywhere between 12-24 hours, then putting in the fridge for 2-4 days. Gonna make ours on Thursday which will have been 3 days in the fridge so will let you know how it turns out.

Edit: I cut them up into dough balls after the initial prove, have frozen one of them for later use.

Last edited:
What dough recipe you using mate?
Did another today with the ooni recipe and it was better but can’t seem to get loads of air in the crust

I used this one mate....copied from elsewhere, but has given me the best results to date. I’ve tried cold proving for another 48hrs after the initial bulk but no huge difference imo, so just stick with the RT method.

Also, is starts off mega sticky when mixing and previously would have added more flour, but persevered and came together nicely.

That said, am using caputo blue pizzeria flour but when tried a different one, had to add more flour after the bulk prove as was clearly too wet....maybe got the hydration wrong or the protein content was lower.

Airy crusts come from the shaping of the dough....this tends to flatten during the second prove and after a flour bath will stretch out great, just be careful not to push all the air out the rim.

Finally think I’ve got something I’d be happy to pay for and it’s down to the caputo blue flour and this recipe...and a bit more care balling and stretching the dough.

Ingredients:

884 g Type 0 or 00 with a minimum protein content of 12g
530g cold tap water (60.%)
26g salt (2.9%)
1g Instant yeast or 2g Fresh yeast

Method:

Measure out your water, into a suitable container, pour about a cup full into another container.
Measure your salt and yeast, dissolve the salt in the larger container, and dissolve the yeast in the smaller one.

Measure your flour into a mixing bowl or suitable container.

At this point pour the salt water in and begin to combine the flour and water by squeezing them together, do not knead the dough.

After a few minutes pour in the yeast water and repeat the process until you’re satisfied it’s combined and formed a loose shaggy dough.

Pour the dough onto a worktop and knead for 10 minutes
Rest the dough for 10-20 minutes
Knead the dough for another 10 minutes, you’ll notice the dough is much smother after this second knead, to test your gluten levels you can prod the dough and see if it ‘springs back’ or do the window pane test.

When you feel comfortable that your dough is well kneaded, place in a bowel or container, either cover it with clingfilm, a damp cloth, or put a lid on depending on what you’re using.

Leave the dough between 8-15 hours, it won’t double in size but it will be bigger, and the yeast will have done it’s magic.

Ball up and put your dough balls in a suitable airtight container, you should get 6 x 230g balls with a little bit of surplus dough.

Your balls will be ready to go after 4 hours, but should last much longer than that. If you want to keep these for another day, refrigerate them as soon as they are balled, and ensure the container is airtight, gently let the balls come back to temperature, again 4 hours is probably about right for this.

Misc tips:

When removing your dough, always use a bit of flour under your scraper
I like to give my dough balls a bath in flour when I get them out, this helps if the dough is a little sticky.
For your bench/stretching flour, try using fine grain semolina or a 50/50 mix of the flour you made your dough with and semolina

I used this one mate....copied from elsewhere, but has given me the best results to date. I’ve tried cold proving for another 48hrs after the initial bulk but no huge difference imo, so just stick with the RT method.

Also, is starts off mega sticky when mixing and previously would have added more flour, but persevered and came together nicely.

That said, am using caputo blue pizzeria flour but when tried a different one, had to add more flour after the bulk prove as was clearly too wet....maybe got the hydration wrong or the protein content was lower.

Airy crusts come from the shaping of the dough....this tends to flatten during the second prove and after a flour bath will stretch out great, just be careful not to push all the air out the rim.

Finally think I’ve got something I’d be happy to pay for and it’s down to the caputo blue flour and this recipe...and a bit more care balling and stretching the dough.

Ingredients:

884 g Type 0 or 00 with a minimum protein content of 12g
530g cold tap water (60.%)
26g salt (2.9%)
1g Instant yeast or 2g Fresh yeast

Method:

Measure out your water, into a suitable container, pour about a cup full into another container.
Measure your salt and yeast, dissolve the salt in the larger container, and dissolve the yeast in the smaller one.

Measure your flour into a mixing bowl or suitable container.

At this point pour the salt water in and begin to combine the flour and water by squeezing them together, do not knead the dough.

After a few minutes pour in the yeast water and repeat the process until you’re satisfied it’s combined and formed a loose shaggy dough.

Pour the dough onto a worktop and knead for 10 minutes
Rest the dough for 10-20 minutes
Knead the dough for another 10 minutes, you’ll notice the dough is much smother after this second knead, to test your gluten levels you can prod the dough and see if it ‘springs back’ or do the window pane test.

When you feel comfortable that your dough is well kneaded, place in a bowel or container, either cover it with clingfilm, a damp cloth, or put a lid on depending on what you’re using.

Leave the dough between 8-15 hours, it won’t double in size but it will be bigger, and the yeast will have done it’s magic.

Ball up and put your dough balls in a suitable airtight container, you should get 6 x 230g balls with a little bit of surplus dough.

Your balls will be ready to go after 4 hours, but should last much longer than that. If you want to keep these for another day, refrigerate them as soon as they are balled, and ensure the container is airtight, gently let the balls come back to temperature, again 4 hours is probably about right for this.

Misc tips:

When removing your dough, always use a bit of flour under your scraper
I like to give my dough balls a bath in flour when I get them out, this helps if the dough is a little sticky.
For your bench/stretching flour, try using fine grain semolina or a 50/50 mix of the flour you made your dough with and semolina
Cheers mate, much appreciated.

last batch was made with caputo red flour. Much more confident with my shaping and stretching, could nearly see through the middle and left what I thought would be enough of a crust to puff up. It tasted lovely and there was a bit of air and structure in there but not these big puffed up things I’m aiming for.
Wouldn’t mind finding a sourdough recipe either seeing as I’m knocking out a couple loads a week and have a starter on the go
this was the effort:

View media item 5395

Last edited:

last batch was made with caputo red flour. Much more confident with my shaping and stretching, could nearly see through the middle and left what I thought would be enough of a crust to puff up. It tasted lovely and there was a bit of air and structure in there but not these big puffed up things I’m aiming for.
Wouldn’t mind finding a sourdough recipe either seeing as I’m knocking out a couple loads a week and have a starter on the go
this was the effort:

View media item 5395

looks class that mate....

when you start with your dough ball, try pressing out from the middle and literally create this tyre round the outside...and then try not to touch this much when stretching. I leave the base on the board / counter / peel and get my hands inside the “tyre”, then stretch out horizontally, rotate the base 90 degrees and repeat till thin enough....if that makes sense.

That recipe seems to have done the trick for me, freezes well at the balling stage too.

End of the day though, bo matter the dough or stretching technique, I’ve found there’s no such thing as shit pizza :)

Last edited:
looks class that mate....

when you start with your dough ball, try pressing out from the middle and literally create this tyre round the outside...and then try not to touch this much when stretching. I leave the base on the board / counter / peel and get my hands inside the “tyre”, then stretch out horizontally, rotate the base 90 degrees and repeat till thin enough....if that makes sense.

That recipe seems to have done the trick for me, freezes well at the balling stage too.

End of the day though, bo matter the dough or stretching technique, I’ve found there’s no such thing as shit pizza :)
Yer that’s the technique I used, the dough seemed much stronger and more stable that the first batch. The first batch when trying that steering whee technique just didn’t shift, this stretched out nicely

Yer that’s the technique I used, the dough seemed much stronger and more stable that the first batch. The first batch when trying that steering whee technique just didn’t shift, this stretched out nicely

It’s voodoo mate, so many variables that are beyond my limited comprehension....but found a recipe and flour that seems to work consistently on a few occasions, so just hope it’s not beginners luck!

this was the effort:

View media item 5395

Caputo Red is fo

this was the effort:

View media item 5395
Caputo Red is for longer fermentation like 48hours plus. The blue one is more for shorter fermentation which is what I use. If you are on facebook join a group called Wood fired ovens - roccbox and ooini loads of good info on there

this was the effort:

View media item 5395
Loving your work

this was the effort:

View media item 5395
Loving your work
This is a good video for getting started on making dough and cooking it.
But I'll be getting the ready made dough balls.

Last edited:
Anyone know of anywhere that sells San Marzanos in the North east? About to order some for delivery but would rather just go and pick some up if any shops up here sell them.

Logon or register to see this image

like that. The bbq is to the right of that. Just needs the panelling once I can get it.
just out of interest mate, what type of cement did you use? did you use a heatproof one or just normal sand cement? and also did you put a layer of insulation over your first layer? ive been researching them the last few days and planning on doing one in my back garden. any help would be appreciated thanks

just out of interest mate, what type of cement did you use? did you use a heatproof one or just normal sand cement? and also did you put a layer of insulation over your first layer? ive been researching them the last few days and planning on doing one in my back garden. any help would be appreciated thanks
I did the reebok ball thing.
I mixed 5:1 vermiculite and normal cement and added layers until it was 3 maybe 4 inches thick. Then the ceramic fire blanket which is an inch thick. Then chicken wire and normal render. It’s Been on 6/7 times full pelt and no cracking. It’s just a slow prosess waiting for layers to dry and a bit messy. Well worth it though. Pm me mate and il give you my number if ya need any help.

I did the reebok ball thing.
I mixed 5:1 vermiculite and normal cement and added layers until it was 3 maybe 4 inches thick. Then the ceramic fire blanket which is an inch thick. Then chicken wire and normal render. It’s Been on 6/7 times full pelt and no cracking. It’s just a slow prosess waiting for layers to dry and a bit messy. Well worth it though. Pm me mate and il give you my number if ya need any help.
nice one really appreciate that thanks mate.

Back