Wood burners and open fires face restrictions in new clean air plan

About 90% of our village have either a stove or open fire.
We don’t have mains gas so you either go for bottles, oil, electric or solid fuel. Most have oil or solid fuel. It smells lovely this time of year too.

It'll not happen imo.
might have no choice
Is your wood stove choking you? How indoor fires are suffocating cities

The truth, though, is less pleasant than those hygge fantasies. Wood smoke is thick with the tiny particulates, known as PM2.5, that are linked to heart attacks, strokes, cancer, dementia and various other ailments. What’s more, the claims about a climate benefit from wood use are questionable.

Cars and trucks get more attention but nationally, domestic wood burning is the largest single source of PM2.5. According to one analysis of government data, it produces more than twice as much as all road traffic. While concerns about diesel vehicles focus largely on the nitrogen dioxide they produce, the evidence tying particulates to death and disease is even more powerful.

According to Leigh Crilley, an atmospheric chemist at the University of Birmingham, wood smoke also carries more carcinogens than diesel or petrol exhaust.

The increasing popularity of wood fires, scientists warn, threatens to erase any progress big cities might achieve in reducing pollution from traffic. “It’s overtaking the gains we’re making,” Crilley said

I'm all for them, as long as the trees are replanted to replace what is used. Its a renewable fuel really.

Although the house 2 doors up from my parents has had one fitted, and I was surprised to find out just how much they smell. Its really strong.

I like the smell of a fire, but I wouldn't want to have to put up with it every day, and have that smell on my clothes etc.
Maybe there's a better way to do it? Especially having the flu raised above the roofline, and a restriction on the fuel that can be sold (seasoned would be better I assume?)

Old fella next door to my parents has one, and his flu comes out in between the 2 houses right next to their en-suit bathroom, so they have to constantly keep that window closed or the room stinks.

might have no choice
Is your wood stove choking you? How indoor fires are suffocating cities

The truth, though, is less pleasant than those hygge fantasies. Wood smoke is thick with the tiny particulates, known as PM2.5, that are linked to heart attacks, strokes, cancer, dementia and various other ailments. What’s more, the claims about a climate benefit from wood use are questionable.

Cars and trucks get more attention but nationally, domestic wood burning is the largest single source of PM2.5. According to one analysis of government data, it produces more than twice as much as all road traffic. While concerns about diesel vehicles focus largely on the nitrogen dioxide they produce, the evidence tying particulates to death and disease is even more powerful.

According to Leigh Crilley, an atmospheric chemist at the University of Birmingham, wood smoke also carries more carcinogens than diesel or petrol exhaust.

The increasing popularity of wood fires, scientists warn, threatens to erase any progress big cities might achieve in reducing pollution from traffic. “It’s overtaking the gains we’re making,” Crilley said

Could a wood particulate filter help?

Back