Wood burners and open fires face restrictions in new clean air plan

I'm all for them, as long as the trees are replanted to replace what is used. Its a renewable fuel really.

Although the house 2 doors up from my parents has had one fitted, and I was surprised to find out just how much they smell. Its really strong.

I like the smell of a fire, but I wouldn't want to have to put up with it every day, and have that smell on my clothes etc.
Maybe there's a better way to do it? Especially having the flu raised above the roofline, and a restriction on the fuel that can be sold (seasoned would be better I assume?)

They absolutely stink, you can smell them just walking around the neighbourhood. Someone I know said their neighbours have one and it makes their house smell like a permanent bonfire, causes them to get tight chests and they can`t hang their clothes out anywhere to dry because of the fumes. That can`t be right. The problem with these things is people burn the wrong stuff, probably any old wood with paint or creosote or other stuff on releasing all sorts of toxins into the air. If people burned the right stuff I`m sure it wouldn`t be as bad but people take the cheap option of burning rubbish. Seems a step backwards to me.

They absolutely stink, you can smell them just walking around the neighbourhood. Someone I know said their neighbours have one and it makes their house smell like a permanent bonfire, causes them to get tight chests and they can`t hang their clothes out anywhere to dry because of the fumes. That can`t be right. The problem with these things is people burn the wrong stuff, probably any old wood with paint or creosote or other stuff on releasing all sorts of toxins into the air. If people burned the right stuff I`m sure it wouldn`t be as bad but people take the cheap option of burning rubbish. Seems a step backwards to me.
Exactly what I was getting at.

Even though I'd love an open fire (f***ing no chance now that we've got twins on the way!), there's no way I'd want to piss my neighbours off as is happening to my folks' at the moment.

Anybody who has had a log burner fitted must tell you that they've had a log burner fitted and it's git great within ten minutes of being in your company. It's just the rules. They are the central heating versions of vegans/TA/off shore workers.
Logon or register to see this image

I'm all for them, as long as the trees are replanted to replace what is used. Its a renewable fuel really.

Although the house 2 doors up from my parents has had one fitted, and I was surprised to find out just how much they smell. Its really strong.

I like the smell of a fire, but I wouldn't want to have to put up with it every day, and have that smell on my clothes etc.
Maybe there's a better way to do it? Especially having the flu raised above the roofline, and a restriction on the fuel that can be sold (seasoned would be better I assume?)

There is - gas and electric heating.

It is how smog was eliminated

For every 1 person burning well seasoned wood I bet there's 5 scratters burning pallets and shite like that.
Can't that be sorted in the same way as smokeless coal was done in the 90's? If the police see smoke, they come round and look at what you're burning, and fine you if its not proper stuff.

Can't that be sorted in the same way as smokeless coal was done in the 90's? If the police see smoke, they come round and look at what you're burning, and fine you if its not proper stuff.
This will absolutely work but only if it's prioritised as it should be. Never mind sexual exploitation, terrorism, drug supply & enforcement, roads policing, public order, burglary, car crime, domestic violence, budget cuts, murder investigations, historic allegations of abuse, cyber crime, fraud & deception, get the bizzies checking out your chimney...

Anybody who has had a log burner fitted must tell you that they've had a log burner fitted and it's git great within ten minutes of being in your company. It's just the rules. They are the central heating versions of vegans/TA/off shore workers.
Why did the vegan cross the road?
To tell you she was vegan.

I know I've told it before. It thought it was worth another post.

Going to put mine on now. Nothing better than sitting wrapped in a cosy Hemp jumper in front of a log fire with a pipe and a nice jam jar of cold brew coffee and a kale in rye bread sandwich , warming my sandals.

Back