Women’s Football

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
We werent relegated. The FA screwed us over & decided to just exlude us in the restructure.

Yeah "demoted because of financial reasons". Didn't really want to get into the full fiasco, but it was shocking from the FA. Man Utd women just won promotion to the top league, weren't in WSL 1 or 2 last season, basically bought the second tier in order to get up to the top, shocking really.

It's a strange one as is women's sport in general. Its something where we strive for equality in something that can never be equal.

I think the best we can hope for is that the encouragement to participate is given equal energy, enthusiasm and resources.

Yeah "demoted because of financial reasons". Didn't really want to get into the full fiasco, but it was shocking from the FA. Man Utd women just won promotion to the top league, weren't in WSL 1 or 2 last season, basically bought the second tier in order to get up to the top, shocking really.

It was West Ham who jumped from 3rd tier to 1st. Man Utd went straight into 2nd tier despite not even having a team the year before. Its nothing short on Americanised franchising. Its actually somewhat belittling the women as they 'earned' their place purely on branding of the mens team & not their own merits. SAFC have produced a 3rd of the England team including the captain and the ballon d'or winner, and this is how we're treat?

I quite like it and happy to watch when it's on.

Mind, I am slightly put off by how quickly, once it started getting some promotion, it started getting the money bug. It was a real shame for the lasses at SAFC and it was no surprise that the previously quite egalitarian structure is increasingly about the big clubs. Yeovil have just gone the journey and will be replaced by Man U (I think) so the competitive element seems to be increasingly blunted.

It was West Ham who jumped from 3rd tier to 1st. Man Utd went straight into 2nd tier despite not even having a team the year before. Its nothing short on Americanised franchising. Its actually somewhat belittling the women as they 'earned' their place purely on branding of the mens team & not their own merits. SAFC have produced a 3rd of the England team including the captain and the ballon d'or winner, and this is how we're treat?

Exactly it's shocking,wasn't fair on the club at all. Only north east club within the top 2 tiers is Durham, and we were in the league above them!

In defence of the FA: there are very, very good and committed people at the FA working very, very hard to build the women’s game and with some success: it’s now the most popular women’s and girls’ sport with 2,700,000 players; we have Europe’s only fully professional league; England really do have a chance at the World Cup next month. This doesn’t sit easily with a simple “bad FA” narrative, and Sunderland fans of course have reason to question some decisions that have been made, but “horrible bastards” isn’t fair.
The FA won’t be happy until they replace all the “shite” with fashionable clubs. It’ll be a lot easier selling the product when the likes of Bristol, reading and Yeovil fuck off. Iirc arsenal have always had a good side so fair play to them but the plebs that got the game going are slowly getting squeezed out. Why f***ing bother when it’s only going to mirror the blokes game with the same clubs winning everything while sycophantic commentators wank themselves furiously over them? It was refreshing seeing the likes of us or donny belles winning the top flight. looks like those days are long gone.

I never see the point of this comparison. Jason Kenny would ride his bicycle faster round the velodrome than Laura Kenny but no one slags her off.
This is missing the point entirely, I suppose it was a tongue in cheek comment?

The point is, women's football hasn't come anywhere close to "elite" standard yet, unlike with other sports where men and women both play about as well as it is possible to do.
Because women's football is still in its infancy, its got a long way to go to be truly legit.

Like women's tennis, which is fantastic to watch, often more so than the men's game.

But it takes a long time (generations of acceptance and training) to get there. Forcibly putting in the news and on the telly (without being warranted) just gets on people's nerves. Being told to accept something is a sure fire way to make them dislike something.

How many women's sports can be named which don't depend on the men's game to piggyback on for exposure?

It's great that more girls are gonna get into sport if that's what they'd like to do, it doesn't mean they should just Ben given big contracts on a plate as the BBC is trying to engineer by pushing it way above its actual popularity as a spectator sport and this actually triggers male fans to dislike it.

How many women's sports can be named which don't depend on the men's game to piggyback on for exposure?

It's great that more girls are gonna get into sport if that's what they'd like to do, it doesn't mean they should just Ben given big contracts on a plate as the BBC is trying to engineer by pushing it way above its actual popularity as a spectator sport and this actually triggers male fans to dislike it.
:D

The women's game wants respect but they are happy to piggy back the men's teams names and take the money that the men's teams generate

i dont mind watching the games, but the BBC are literally steamrollering it down everyones throats online and on tv . literally over promoting/championing it rather than reporting on it (dont get me started on sullivan and west ham after each motd). sometimes online they put headlines that dont even differentiate if its womens or mens so you think a big result has happened in the premier league then have to click on the link.

sick of hearing Jonathan Pearce and his pandering/borderline unprofessional commentary too. he did it during the world cup as well. just ignores moments of pure rubbish with a silence rather than calling it out as he would any other game. 2 of the goals today in the cup final were farcical.

the only good things about it is local lass Steph playing well as usual and that hopefully a young girls are inspired to take up the game and it grows. Also maybe nissan could sponsor the lads shirts next year rather than Man City women?

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont mind watching the games, but the BBC are literally steamrollering it down everyones throats online and on tv . literally over promoting/championing it rather than reporting on it (dont get me started on sullivan and west ham after each motd). sometimes online they put headlines that dont even differentiate if its womens or mens so you think a big result has happened in the premier league then have to click on the link.

sick of hearing Jonathan Pearce and his pandering/borderline unprofessional commentary too. he did it during the world cup as well. just ignores moments of pure rubbish with a silence rather than calling it out as he would any other game. 2 of the goals today in the cup final were farcical.

the only good things about it is local lass Steph playing well as usual and that hopefully a young girls are inspired to take up the game and it grows. Also maybe nissan could sponsor the lads shirts next year rather than Man City women?
If that had been men's football on show yesterday they would of been pulling the players to bits, I couldn't believe how bad it was, the shooting was abysmal.

Obviously the quality is going to be lower when the funding is considerably less. It'll only improve if the public get behind it and the money and facilities on offer ever reaches a standard similar to the men's game.

I'm looking forward to going to the world cup this year and supporting Scotland, something I was beginning to think I'd never get to say!

Obviously the quality is going to be lower when the funding is considerably less. It'll only improve if the public get behind it and the money and facilities on offer ever reaches a standard similar to the men's game.

I'm looking forward to going to the world cup this year and supporting Scotland, something I was beginning to think I'd never get to say!

Eh, can you tell me how the South Americans churn out loads of top players who started out as proper street scratters with little or no money behind them?

Back