Women’s Football

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
I don’t have an opinion on the quality of the playing or skill level. Just curious about why virtually empty stadiums are generating sufficient interest to warrant televising live. Happy to be told I’ve got it wrong.

I'd imagine on an average weekend , the entire English womens leagues attendances combined will be about half of what we get for one home game.

You'd be surprised how far the blokes would go to get a sight of a bit of leg back then :)

Last edited:

They keep getting absolutely battered by schoolboys tbh. The gulf is surprisingly huge.
Why is it surprising?

Men’s footy has had decades of funding and hundreds of years of acceptance from everyone.

Women’s footy has, in comparison, little funding and it’s only just become socially acceptable for lasses to play. It has only just started being allowed at schools in PE ffs.

It’s not surpring in the slightest.

I'd imagine on an average weekend , the entire English womens leagues attendances combined will be about half of what we get for one home game.

You'd be surprised how far the blokes would go to get a sight of a bit of leg back then :)
That's what I thought, this is the Dick, Kerr Ladies below

Logon or register to see this image

Plus there was this :lol: :lol: (notice the fingerprints all over :lol:)

Women's football in 1920, between England and France (result 2-0) in Preston, England 1920. Photo: The greeting between the two captains (the English with the striped shirt). Women's football. The team captains greet each other with a kiss. England, Preston, 1920.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone want to go and watch that shit unless you're friend or family. Amazing they get so many there really.
Crackin day out.
I’ve been to a dozen or so lasses games ower the last ten years or so and everyone seems played by players who want to be there as opposed to safc ower the majority of the last ten years. No diving, cheating, whinging. Basically sport played for its own sake and not to fill tv schedules or line horrible horrible peoples pockets.....though horrible horrible people are getting more involved. IE Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea etc etc. Which is only to be expected since the horrible bastards at the FA got moved in.

Why is it surprising?

Men’s footy has had decades of funding and hundreds of years of acceptance from everyone.

Women’s footy has, in comparison, little funding and it’s only just become socially acceptable for lasses to play. It has only just started being allowed at schools in PE ffs.

It’s not surpring in the slightest.

It won’t ever be as good as the men’s game, no matter how much funding or time it has.

It should be expanded and developed absolutely, more people playing sport can only be a good thing, but the idea that it should have complete equality with the men’s game is just daft.

Crackin day out.
I’ve been to a dozen or so lasses games ower the last ten years or so and everyone seems played by players who want to be there as opposed to safc ower the majority of the last ten years. No diving, cheating, whinging. Basically sport played for its own sake and not to fill tv schedules or line horrible horrible peoples pockets.....though horrible horrible people are getting more involved. IE Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea etc etc. Which is only to be expected since the horrible bastards at the FA got moved in.
In defence of the FA: there are very, very good and committed people at the FA working very, very hard to build the women’s game and with some success: it’s now the most popular women’s and girls’ sport with 2,700,000 players; we have Europe’s only fully professional league; England really do have a chance at the World Cup next month. This doesn’t sit easily with a simple “bad FA” narrative, and Sunderland fans of course have reason to question some decisions that have been made, but “horrible bastards” isn’t fair.

Ah the “it’s shit” argument.

From Sunderland fans.

You have to laugh.

It’s a sport that has had zero backing, whereas men’s football is ingrained in society. To expect the two games to be equal from such a staggered start is just absurd. It will grow over time, and that’s great. If you don’t want to watch it then don’t, others will. I can’t say I have got into it yet, but will watch bits of the big tournaments if England are playing

It won’t ever be as good as the men’s game, no matter how much funding or time it has.

It should be expanded and developed absolutely, more people playing sport can only be a good thing, but the idea that it should have complete equality with the men’s game is just daft.
Men aren’t the competitors. The USA, Japan, France, the Netherlands- they’re the competition. Next month. In France. Watch it, you’ll enjoy it.

Exposure. Encourage more girls into football and to play sport in general.
The fact that in the women's football, the England team are actually one of the best in the world.

It's not as well attended because it hasn't had the same history as men's football. It's relatively new in comparison
I would also say it doesn't have the same following due to a load of macho bollocks spouted every time on the Match of the Day page by the usual bellends saying "get back in the kitchen" etc, when most of them have amounted to fuck all in their lives.

Me and another Sunderland fan went to see the Sunderland women play at Man City not so long ago. The atmosphere is definitely more family friendly.
In fact I'd practically say it's family orientated

You say that like the men’s team aren’t

In defence of the FA: there are very, very good and committed people at the FA working very, very hard to build the women’s game and with some success: it’s now the most popular women’s and girls’ sport with 2,700,000 players; we have Europe’s only fully professional league; England really do have a chance at the World Cup next month. This doesn’t sit easily with a simple “bad FA” narrative, and Sunderland fans of course have reason to question some decisions that have been made, but “horrible bastards” isn’t fair.
I believe sport like society should be a meritocracy. The FA don’t.

You say that like the men’s team aren’t
Both are.

Even now darlington would hammer any women's team
Not even worth replying too....doh.

Last edited:
That's what I thought, this is the Dick, Kerr Ladies below

Plus there was this :lol: :lol: (notice the fingerprints all over :lol:)

Women's football in 1920, between England and France (result 2-0) in Preston, England 1920. Photo: The greeting between the two captains (the English with the striped shirt). Women's football. The team captains greet each other with a kiss. England, Preston, 1920.

Iirc hot chocolate wrote a song about that match.

It isn’t shit and the goalkeeping isn’t shit.

You’re welcome x

I never see the point of this comparison. Jason Kenny would ride his bicycle faster round the velodrome than Laura Kenny but no one slags her off.
Some folk do compare them as equal and that is the problem, womens footy has come on leaps and bounds in the last ten years and will continue to improve but it will never be at the same level as the mens game.

My daughter actually started to love SAFC through the women's side, and wasn't interested in the men at all from the ages of around 10-12. Beth Mead and Rachel Furness came to her school and she won free tickets to go see them and we've been going ever since. We ended up getting a season ticket and she absolutely loved it. There's a really nice atmosphere around hetton centre and the players always stop after the match for pictures, autographs and a chat. She was heartbroken when they got relegated from the WSL.

We do watch it when it's televised when it's england, man city, arsenal,Chelsea ect. You'll find the play flows, not too much stopping, diving and arguing with the ref.

Now she loves both teams and can't believe she wasn't interested in the men's side of things in the first place :)

My daughter actually started to love SAFC through the women's side, and wasn't interested in the men at all from the ages of around 10-12. Beth Mead and Rachel Furness came to her school and she won free tickets to go see them and we've been going ever since. We ended up getting a season ticket and she absolutely loved it. There's a really nice atmosphere around hetton centre and the players always stop after the match for pictures, autographs and a chat. She was heartbroken when they got relegated from the WSL.

We do watch it when it's televised when it's england, man city, arsenal,Chelsea ect. You'll find the play flows, not too much stopping, diving and arguing with the ref.

Now she loves both teams and can't believe she wasn't interested in the men's side of things in the first place :)

We werent relegated. The FA screwed us over & decided to just exlude us in the restructure.

Back