Women’s Football

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14766

I have no issue with women’s football - or any other women’s sport (some of which I enjoy on telly, like Tennis, occasionally gymnastis, cycling etc) - but, admittedly watch even less womens football than the male variety; which theee days is limited to catching, in the gym changing room on a Sunday morning, a couple of highlights prior to the 3 hours of pointless analysis on match of the day. Even when I was going to games I watched very little on tv.

But I’m puzzled. Whenever I catch a snippet of a live or recorded game whilst surfing channels it appears (careful wording) that the interest in the game is such that the stadium is very poorly attended with little interest in actually purchasing a seat. Even when it’s been billed as a high profile international game.

So why is it televised so much? Or have I got that wrong and it’s not?

Is the women’s game purely - or predominantly a televisual experience? Are the TV companies trying to generate interest and advertising revenue? Is it, indeed, a minority interest but worthy of promotion to address the balance of focus and attention on men’s football that’s gone before? Or have I got it wrong and there’s huge interest but the stadiums for internationals are too big - with the main attendance being at local or club level?

I think I’m risking lighting some blue touch paper by even raising the subject but I’d be interested in the views of the female board members amidst the inevitably rabidly chauvinistic humorous responses. Or am I rabidly chauvinistic for just asking? :)

I have no issue with women’s football - or any other women’s sport (some of which I enjoy on telly, like Tennis, occasionally gymnastis, cycling etc) - but, admittedly watch even less womens football than the male variety; which theee days is limited to catching, in the gym changing room on a Sunday morning, a couple of highlights prior to the 3 hours of pointless analysis on match of the day. Even when I was going to games I watched very little on tv.

But I’m puzzled. Whenever I catch a snippet of a live or recorded game whilst surfing channels it appears (careful wording) that the interest in the game is such that the stadium is very poorly attended with little interest in actually purchasing a seat. Even when it’s been billed as a high profile international game.

Is the women’s game purely - or predominantly a televisual experience? Are the TV companies trying to generate interest and advertising revenue? Is it, indeed, a minority interest but worthy of promotion to address the balance of focus and attention on men’s football that’s gone before? Or have I got it wrong and there’s huge interest but the stadiums for internationals are too big - with the main attendance being at local or club level?

I think I’m risking lighting some blue touch paper by even raising the subject but I’d be interested in the views of the female board members amidst the inevitably rabidly chauvinistic humorous responses. Or am I rabidly chauvinistic for just asking? :)

Cheap for BBC to get rights? Cheap for sky to fill their schedules?

Some of the outfield players are decent but practically every keeper is shite.

I don’t have an opinion on the quality of the playing or skill level. Just curious about why virtually empty stadiums are generating sufficient interest to warrant televising live. Happy to be told I’ve got it wrong.

I don’t have an opinion on the quality of the playing or skill level. Just curious about why virtually empty stadiums are generating sufficient interest to warrant televising live. Happy to be told I’ve got it wrong.

Aye, funny how they can use the excuse of it affecting attendances to prevent games being shown live at 3pm in the UK.

Exposure. Encourage more girls into football and to play sport in general.
The fact that in the women's football, the England team are actually one of the best in the world.

It's not as well attended because it hasn't had the same history as men's football. It's relatively new in comparison
I would also say it doesn't have the same following due to a load of macho bollocks spouted every time on the Match of the Day page by the usual bellends saying "get back in the kitchen" etc, when most of them have amounted to fuck all in their lives.

Me and another Sunderland fan went to see the Sunderland women play at Man City not so long ago. The atmosphere is definitely more family friendly.
In fact I'd practically say it's family orientated

The fact that in the women's football, the England team are actually one of the best in the world.

It's not as well attended because it hasn't had the same history as men's football. It's relatively new in comparison
I would also say it doesn't have the same following due to a load of macho bollocks spouted every time on the Match of the Day page by the usual bellends saying "get back in the kitchen" etc, when most of them have amounted to fuck all in their lives.

Me and another Sunderland fan went to see the Sunderland women play at Man City not so long ago. The atmosphere is definitely more family friendly.
It doesn't have the same following because it's shite compared to men's football, why pay to watch football that's on a level with schoolboys.

Just after WW1 the women's game was as big as the men's, but the FA panicked and banned them from playing on Association grounds.

The FA? f***ing people over? Surely not...

It doesn't have the same following because it's shite compared to men's football, why pay to watch football that's on a level with schoolboys.

Mate, I used to follow Darlington.

Definitely more family oriented and I really enjoyed watching England Women vs France Women a few years back at the SoL.

Interestingly, here in BC lots of people I've met prefer women's football. Maybe that's because the Canada women's team is more successful than the men's. It seems like it tends to be girls who play soccer at school while the boys play Canadian football or basketball.

Back