Woman fined £150 for feeding sausage roll to pigeon

Exactly this.
There is no law in this country that prohibits feeding birds. The sign made no reference to a local byelaw about feeding birds.

The penalty notice cites the environmental protection act 1990 section 87/88:
'Under section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Act it is an offence to throw down, drop or otherwise deposit, and then leave, litter.'

What if she were to say something like;

'I dropped the piece of sausage roll and intended to pick it up again, but a bird flew away with it before I could.'
Well if the bird flew away with it, then how can she be done for littering? when there's no litter.

I bet if it was a vegan sausage roll, the council’s diversity officer would have come and shook her hand and invited her to give a speech to the Bath and North East Somerset greenpeace forum.

I noticed up Consett one time the idiots had chucked that much corn for them it had started growing out of the cracks in the pacement and was about 2 foot tall :confused:

I cannot stand litter louts but that is taking the piss. These fuckers look for easy targets, when they really should be near the likes of a fast food drive-Thru or a known fly tipping places, where people hoy their rubbish out of their vehicles.
I do wonder if it is more about making money for councils, than actually trying to preserve the environment, when they fine people for shit like this or accidently dropping something?

These sneaky twats were caught out good by this fella.:lol:

I have to agree with you there. £25 would be enough to put people off I'd like to think.

And now we know who was in the bath with the pigeon and the dog :lol:
I don't think is appropriate for hoying a bit of sausage roll to a pigeon. It's ridiculous.

I cannot stand litter louts but that is taking the piss. These fuckers look for easy targets, when they really should be near the likes of a fast food drive-Thru or a known fly tipping places, where people hoy their rubbish out of their vehicles.
I do wonder if it is more about making money for councils, than actually trying to preserve the environment, when they fine people for shit like this or accidently dropping something?

These sneaky twats were caught out good by this fella.:lol:

What a smug twat that bloke is. He needed a punch in the mush.

Last edited:
I feed the pigeons all the time. That "enforcement" officer would be told to fuck off tbh, you're admitting guilt by giving your details.

The one doing the filming

He did come across as being a prick.

Ones a youtuber, he's a smug twat by default. The bloke in the glasses was a twat though, and also wrong.

Possibly, but there wouldn't be any need for people like him if we didn't have ignorant, inconsiderate scruffs who ruin the look of the place by littering. Funny how the youtuber didn't put his "talent" to good effect by challenging the people littering. He knows he'd probably get a good hiding if he did & ironically its an easier target to have a go at people who are trying to do a job as he knows there's less chance he'll get a clip.

Re the OP the fine is harsh and it would have been better to have a quiet word and dish out a warning, but I've got little sympathy for people who litter as I'd rather streets didn't have litter in them. It really doesn't take much effort/decency to put your own litter in a bin or keep it on you until you find one.

Well if the bird flew away with it, then how can she be done for littering? when there's no litter.
That's my point exactly. If the bird hadn't taken it then she undoubtedly would have picked it up again rather than leave litter. The basis of the fine is flawed so she should take it to court.

Back