Woman fined £150 for feeding sausage roll to pigeon

Yes because she was fined for littering. What part are you struggling with?

I’m not struggling with any of it. Are you on a wind up?

She was fined for littering. The enforcement officer believes her throwing the sausage roll on the floor, the act of feeding the bird, was littering.

If she had not fed the bird, she would therefore not have been fined.

Which was my point - the signs say don’t feed the birds. Obey the sign, no fine. Serves her right. I hope the council don’t back down, but they will do.

Now that’s crackers.

I’m not struggling with any of it. Are you on a wind up?

She was fined for littering. The enforcement officer believes her throwing the sausage roll on the floor, the act of feeding the bird, was littering.

If she had not fed the bird, she would therefore not have been fined.

Which was my point - the signs say don’t feed the birds. Obey the sign, no fine. Serves her right. I hope the council don’t back down, but they will do.
Pathetic tbh. I would have given false details to the stupid little twat.

I’m aware of that. If she had obeyed the signs, she wouldn’t have received the fine though, would she?

“Signs all over the city asking people not to feed the birds “

Sounds very much like an advisory sign rather than it’s prohibited to feed them at the risk of a fine if you do so.

A little word in her ear asking her not to do it again would have sufficed .

“Signs all over the city asking people not to feed the birds “

Sounds very much like an advisory sign rather than it’s prohibited to feed them at the risk of a fine if you do so.

A little word in her ear asking her not to do it again would have sufficed .
Exactly this.
There is no law in this country that prohibits feeding birds. The sign made no reference to a local byelaw about feeding birds.

The penalty notice cites the environmental protection act 1990 section 87/88:
'Under section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Act it is an offence to throw down, drop or otherwise deposit, and then leave, litter.'

What if she were to say something like;

'I dropped the piece of sausage roll and intended to pick it up again, but a bird flew away with it before I could.'

Back