Woman burned to death for reporting sexual harassment

You’ve completely missed the point.

The huge difference is that rape and sexual assault in general is overwhelmingly condemned in the U.K. and punished, the rapist shunned for the rest of his days, but acceptable and overlooked in Bangladesh, and deemed the woman’s fault.

Seriously, why do people bend over backwards to be apologists for this sickness? Is it something in the water?

Christ almighty, man! You can’t be that naive, surely?

I'm making no apology for rapists, that's a poor way to swerve the question.

And of course, I don't believe the numbers provided in the article reflect the true magnitude of rape in Bangladesh and that under-reporting is linked to poor rights and representation for women. I don't pretend to know the scale of the issue over there and it's obvious you don't either.

If we accept that rape and sexual assault in this country is underreported by about 80-90% and this is when it is a particular hot topic and attitudes have changed considerably, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that in a part of the world where rape victims are still outwardly blamed for their ordeal and shunned at best and murdered at worst, that the percentage of reported will be be even smaller.

I agree with the general point that there will be a higher percentage of unreported rape in Bangladesh than here.

It's also pretty obvious to me that in a patriarchal society it is going to be more difficult for women to receive justice.

I'll tell you what isn't so obvious to me though. In our progressive, secular society with one of the best if not the best judicial systems in the world and a population that rates itself high on equality, decency and fairness, with dedicated womens' support groups and outreach programs - how is it that rape is still so prevalent here?

One in eight women in the UK between 16 and 59 say they've been raped or sexually abused at some point in their lives and one in four girls under the age of 16 say they have been coerced into sex. If the reports from Asia add up to a cultural problem with rape, how are those UK figures not an indicator of a cultural problem here?

Last edited:

I'm making no apology for rapists, that's a poor way to swerve the question.

And of course, I don't believe the numbers provided in the article reflect the true magnitude of rape in Bangladesh and that under-reporting is linked to poor rights and representation for women. I don't pretend to know the scale of the issue over there and it's obvious you don't either.

I agree with the general point that there will be a higher percentage of unreported rape in Bangladesh than here.

It's also pretty obvious to me that in a patriarchal society it is going to be more difficult for women to receive justice.

I'll tell you what isn't so obvious to me though. In our progressive, secular society with one of the best if not the best judicial systems in the world and a population that rates itself high on equality, decency and fairness, with dedicated womens' support groups and outreach programs - how is it that rape is still so prevalent here?

One in eight women in the UK between 16 and 59 say they've been raped or sexually abused at some point in their lives and one in four girls under the age of 16 say they have been coerced into sex. If the reports from Asia add up to a cultural problem with rape, how are those UK figures not an indicator of a cultural problem here?

Apologist for third world, backwards, usually Islamic cultures, I am not accusing you of being an apologist for rape at all.

I don’t know why you’re harping on about UK rape rates. It’s what-about-ism at its finest. It’s got bugger all to do with the topic of women’s lack of rights in the third world, and their society’s barbaric attitude towards rape victims.

It’s desperate straw clutching trying to compare the U.K. with Bangladesh. We are nothing like them whatsoever. Rape has a poor conviction rate because it’s very hard to prove sex wasn’t consensual. DNA is of no help in that respect. What’s your solution? Err on the side of women crying rape cos there’s ‘no smoke without fire’? Just assume she’s telling the truth and label the man a pervert for the rest of his days? The difficulty of prosecuting rape cases isn’t a reflection of U.K. attitudes towards women, as you seem to be claiming. It’s because it’s hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

Even someone accused of rape then cleared has no chance of being treated an an innocent man, mud sticks. Not in Bangladesh, though. It’s the woman’s fault and the man can walk away with his reputation intact.

Am I getting the point through yet?

Awful.

@BBCNews: Nusrat Jahan Rafi: Burned to death for reporting sexual harassment Burned to death for reporting sexual harassment
Woman, 19 year owld she`s still a bairn ffs. Backwards bastards

There's still places in India where women/girls are not allowed to sleep in the house when they're menstruating and have to sleep in a dilapidated communal hut on the outskirts of the village.
So they do have some sense then? A mrs and a teenage daughter to deal with once a month and i perfectly understand it :lol:

Last edited:
Apologist for third world, backwards, usually Islamic cultures, I am not accusing you of being an apologist for rape at all.

I don’t know why you’re harping on about UK rape rates. It’s what-about-ism at its finest. It’s got bugger all to do with the topic of women’s lack of rights in the third world, and their society’s barbaric attitude towards rape victims.

It’s desperate straw clutching trying to compare the U.K. with Bangladesh. We are nothing like them whatsoever. Rape has a poor conviction rate because it’s very hard to prove sex wasn’t consensual. DNA is of no help in that respect. What’s your solution? Err on the side of women crying rape cos there’s ‘no smoke without fire’? Just assume she’s telling the truth and label the man a pervert for the rest of his days? The difficulty of prosecuting rape cases isn’t a reflection of U.K. attitudes towards women, as you seem to be claiming. It’s because it’s hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

Even someone accused of rape then cleared has no chance of being treated an an innocent man, mud sticks. Not in Bangladesh, though. It’s the woman’s fault and the man can walk away with his reputation intact.

Am I getting the point through yet?

Your point seems to have moved along to conviction rates of rape which I've not made any comment on, so I'll leave it for another discussion.

Also, I've acknowledged that in a patriarchal society (eg Bangladesh and it applies equally to gangs, communities and groups with that type of structure) it is difficult for women to receive justice. Victim blaming and refusal to act in women's interests that you mention being among various examples.

The reason I mentioned UK stats was because you brought up the connection with this country in the context of a rape case and culture. I could just as easily have pointed to other developed nations such as US, Israel, South Africa or Sweden. These countries have differing cultures and among the highest recorded rapes in the world.

Take a look at Japan for an example of a developed nation where the culture of rape is ignored by authority and institutions to such an extent that you'd think it barely happens at all.

The point I'm making is that while the attitude towards women's rights and their place in society differs, rape culture is universal and I've not seen any evidence that it occurs less frequently in developed nations than developing nations or one religion is significantly worse than another.

So going back to your original post and its implication. I understand the concern as I've seen evidence of Bangladeshi men coming here and perpetrating rape but I'm not convinced they pose an extraordinary risk because of their religious/national culture as repulsive as it is.

No matter what your views on Brexit, religion, team you support, whatever, you should be thankful you were born in United Kingdom and not some of the absolute backwards shit holes that worryingly are still very widespread across this Earth.

No matter what your views on Brexit, religion, team you support, whatever, you should be thankful you were born in United Kingdom and not some of the absolute backwards shit holes that worryingly are still very widespread across this Earth.

Aye, sanctuary from this shit....

Women’s rights in places like Bangladesh are centuries, not years, behind those in the west. Women’s movements still have to speak publicly in very guarded terms.

We’re talking about them literally risking their lives or a severe physical or chemical attack for speaking out rather than a loud tut and rolling of the eyes.

Things are nonetheless improving, albeit very slowly, and we can all only hope that this is a trend which continues and picks up a pace.

Yes lets hope so !?

Last edited:
I was quite shocked to read the article.

I have met quite a few Bangladeshis, in the Middle East and the U.K. and they weren’t very ‘conservative’ at all.

We spent some time in the same hospital ward in Birmingham as a family of 2nd/3rd generation Bangladeshis and the ladies were a really good laugh. One of them in her early 20s was determined not to get married until she’d had a career. They had very westernised values.

Did they grow up here though? I've worked with quite a few Indians (as in actually born and raised in India), mostly decent lads and lasses on the whole but their ignorance about certain things is pretty astounding. One bloke (who was in his 40's) admitted that he didn't even know gay people existed until he moved here 5 years ago for example. The women are completely subservient to the men too.

Did they grow up here though? I've worked with quite a few Indians (as in actually born and raised in India), mostly decent lads and lasses on the whole but their ignorance about certain things is pretty astounding. One bloke (who was in his 40's) admitted that he didn't even know gay people existed until he moved here 5 years ago for example. The women are completely subservient to the men too.
Yes the ladies had lived in the West Midlands all their lives, wore jeans + t-shirts while staying at the hospital, quite hardline on the feminism front but didn’t have a chip on their shoulder either.

I’ve worked with Kuwaiti, Bangladeshi, Egyptian, Indonesian women in the Middle East and they were quite open too.

Back