Woman burned to death for reporting sexual harassment

I have a splendid idea. Let’s invite Muslims from Bangladesh, India and Pakistan to bring their culture over here!
We will all be better off with a multicultural society. Anyone who disagrees or has anything bad to say about Islam and its associated culture is worse than a Nazi paedophile.

How do rape statistics in those countries compare to here?

As your starting point:-

The year ending March 2017 Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) estimated that 12.1% of adults aged 16 to 59 have experienced sexual assault (including attempts) since the age of 16, equivalent to an estimated 4 million victims (Appendix Tables 1 and 2).

Indecent exposure or unwanted sexual touching (11.5% of adults aged 16 to 59, 3.8 million victims) was more common than rape or assault by penetration (including attempts) (3.4%, 1.1 million victims).

Offences for the 12 months of 2017, 40,000 rapes recorded by police and due to unreporting, it's estimated over 150,000 actual rapes.

Sexual offences in England and Wales - Office for National Statistics

Given the nature of the story, how many rapes as a percentage do you think are reported in countries where just reporting it could lead to you being murdered? ?

That's quite a complex question with little data to go on. The article says there were 900 odd rapes in Bangladesh last year, the population is over 150 million. Under reporting would have to be 500 times higher than here to be comparable.

I’d say that would be pretty feasible actually.

Really?

Women's groups in this country have been complaining about institutional attitudes to rape for years. Women's movements in Bangladesh only say actual figures will be higher, I'd say reporting of 1 in every 2000 incidents (to make it equivalent) deserves significantly stronger language.

Really?

Women's groups in this country have been complaining about institutional attitudes to rape for years. Women's movements in Bangladesh only say actual figures will be higher, I'd say reporting of 1 in every 2000 incidents (to make it equivalent) deserves significantly stronger language.
Women’s rights in places like Bangladesh are centuries, not years, behind those in the west. Women’s movements still have to speak publicly in very guarded terms.

We’re talking about them literally risking their lives or a severe physical or chemical attack for speaking out rather than a loud tut and rolling of the eyes.

Things are nonetheless improving, albeit very slowly, and we can all only hope that this is a trend which continues and picks up a pace.

Women’s rights in places like Bangladesh are centuries, not years, behind those in the west. Women’s movements still have to speak publicly in very guarded terms.

We’re talking about them literally risking their lives or a severe physical or chemical attack for speaking out rather than a loud tut and rolling of the eyes.

Things are nonetheless improving, albeit very slowly, and we can all only hope that this is a trend which continues and picks up a pace.

There's an assumption in your argument that once those women get a voice that it will make a difference to the attitudes of men, especially young men.

The ONS stats have some data on the reasons women in this country don't report rape. Embarrassment (result of years of victim blaming) is one of the main reasons and that's the case in countries with strong religious culture.

It's ridiculous to even try and compare Bangladesh to the UK..

Why?

There's an assumption in your argument that once those women get a voice that it will make a difference to the attitudes of men, especially young men.

The ONS stats have some data on the reasons women in this country don't report rape. Embarrassment (result of years of victim blaming) is one of the main reasons and that's the case in countries with strong religious culture.

Why?

There's a huge difference in how rape victims are treated here compared to the Indian subcontinent. Women there will be terrified of the consequences if reporting a rape.

Unless you mean because of how many Asians are here now, and the fact so many white girls were ignored and abandoned for so long?

This story is beyond depressing and upsetting. I was brought up pretty much by three elder sisters and my mother (my three brothers were much older than me and had already started working when I was born and my dad had to work long hours, I get on great with my brothers now that we are all adults but they were not really a major part of my childhood and my dad passed away many years back), then I got married young and had two daughters who are both now adults, so I have pretty much spent my whole life surrounded by and living with strong women. Women have a been dealt a shite hand and deserve far more than they get from our society let alone other societies where they are treated as second class citizens.

If it wasn't for the women and girls in my life I would be nothing.

Last edited:
How do rape statistics in those countries compare to here?

As your starting point:-

Offences for the 12 months of 2017, 40,000 rapes recorded by police and due to unreporting, it's estimated over 150,000 actual rapes.

Sexual offences in England and Wales - Office for National Statistics

You’ve completely missed the point.

The huge difference is that rape and sexual assault in general is overwhelmingly condemned in the U.K. and punished, the rapist shunned for the rest of his days, but acceptable and overlooked in Bangladesh, and deemed the woman’s fault.

Seriously, why do people bend over backwards to be apologists for this sickness? Is it something in the water?

That's quite a complex question with little data to go on. The article says there were 900 odd rapes in Bangladesh last year, the population is over 150 million. Under reporting would have to be 500 times higher than here to be comparable.

Christ almighty, man! You can’t be that naive, surely?

Last edited:

Why?
Your either a WUM or you seriously need to take your head out of your arse and look at the real issues facing woman & girls in that country.

There's still places in India where women/girls are not allowed to sleep in the house when they're menstruating and have to sleep in a dilapidated communal hut on the outskirts of the village.

If we accept that rape and sexual assault in this country is underreported by about 80-90% and this is when it is a particular hot topic and attitudes have changed considerably, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that in a part of the world where rape victims are still outwardly blamed for their ordeal and shunned at best and murdered at worst, that the percentage of reported will be be even smaller.

Back