Woman burned to death for reporting sexual harassment

What a very brave girl. Saying she would fight for justice until her last breath. If there is such a thing as paradise then I hope she's up there now. RIP

I hope the scum who did this, including those who downplayed her claims, burn in hell.
I'll tell you what will happen. Large demonstrations by good people against violence on women followed by very little action until the next time it happens. There might be severe sentencing, there might not but it will be lip service and nothing will change in regards to culture. Large parts of the ruling Indian BJP government openly condone rape as part of honour shaming so little will happen.

India is a democracy - these people were elected. Of course parts of the muslim community in India adhere to the glorious cultural Utopia that is the Republic Shithole of Pakistan where men get away with killing their victim after they rape them...for the crime of allowing themselves to be raped...shame on those girls for allowing it.

Until people are willing to stand up and actually lose their lives (like this brave young woman) en masse nothing will change. They'll demonstrate and wait for the next time it happens and then they will demonstrate again.

Last edited:

I'll tell you what will happen. Large demonstrations by good people against violence on women followed by very little action until the next time it happens. There might be severe sentencing, there might not but it will be lip service and nothing will change in regards to culture. Large parts of the ruling Indian BJP government openly condone rape as part of honour shaming so little will happen.

India is a democracy - these people were elected. Of course parts of the muslim community in India adhere to the glorious cultural Utopia that is the Republic Shithole of Pakistan where men get away with killing their victim after they rape them...for the crime of allowing themselves to be raped...shame on those girls for allowing it.

Until people are willing to stand up and actually lose their lives (like this brave young woman) en masse nothing will change. They'll demonstrate and wait for the next time it happens and then they will demonstrate again.
This was in Bangladesh I think

This was in Bangladesh I think
Ah right. Sorry.

The whole region is becoming a basket case. The ruling Awami League in that country are little better. A woman was gang raped a few months ago for voting against the ruling party - after a warning from an official at the time about what she was doing. Other acid attacks - some just threatened. Just daily life.

Last edited:

Good chance to see a march in London. Fuck all to do with London or the UK, but when does that stop them?

This is going to sound like a loaded question but please believe me when I say I don’t intend it to be and I realise that the answer isn’t going to be summed up in a sentence, but why have these regions of the world not moved on as far as the West when it comes to this kind of thing?

Is it poverty? Is the struggle to stay alive just so time consuming that people simply don’t have the inclination to look more inwardly at their societies and evolve?

This is going to sound like a loaded question but please believe me when I say I don’t intend it to be and I realise that the answer isn’t going to be summed up in a sentence, but why have these regions of the world not moved on as far as the West when it comes to this kind of thing?

Is it poverty? Is the struggle to stay alive just so time consuming that people simply don’t have the inclination to look more inwardly at their societies and evolve?
In my opinion? All down to their cultural 'honour' system. Unlike our guilt culture in the west (reinforced by Christian religions over the centuries) they have a shame culture where the victim, rather than the perpetrator of a crime is held responsible for that crime. Women are at fault for rape because of the way they dress/being out alone at night etc. The same culture that demanded suicide in feudal China/Japan for failure even if that failure wasn't the fault of that person.

It's a double edged sword as anyone who has been a guest in a Hindu/Muslim/Sikh household will tell you. They honour you with treatment far and above the cuppa and biccy that you expect here but the down side is very dark. All societies in the main are traditionally patriarchal but here girls are mutilated for shaming the family honour. It's never the blokes...is it?

Imo we're very lucky (if that's the word given our churches' past atrocities) in terms of the end results where (at least in theory) we have a plain equation of commit the sin and you answer in the form of a punishment/sanction.

Last edited:
In my opinion? All down to their cultural 'honour' system. Unlike our guilt culture in the west (reinforced by Christian religions over the centuries) they have a shame culture where the victim, rather than the perpetrator of a crime is held responsible for that crime. Women are at fault for rape because of the way they dress/being out alone at night etc. The same culture that demanded suicide in feudal China/Japan for failure even if that failure wasn't the fault of that person.

My Mam was upset hearing about a local girl when she was on holiday in India. She'd gone for a drink with some friends after work, but was raped on the way home. It was deemed to be her fault because she was out without a man and had drank alcohol. Then her family shunned her because she was "soiled goods" and no longer suitable for marriage. Poor lassie :(

My Mam was upset hearing about a local girl when she was on holiday in India. She'd gone for a drink with some friends after work, but was raped on the way home. It was deemed to be her fault because she was out without a man and had drank alcohol. Then her family shunned her because she was "soiled goods" and no longer suitable for marriage. Poor lassie :(

Listening to NPR radio over here stories like this pop up from time to time. There was a case in India - a lass was gang raped on a bus in broad daylight by several blokes while other passengers either cheered on or just looked away. Dirty bitch probably deserved it for not having been clad from head to foot or something.
It’s a sickness in their cociety and I have no idea how it will change.
Equally (Sozz for the tangent) I often complain of the sickness in society over here where it’s become a regular thing for some disaffected person (usually white male) to go into a school or other public place and do a rampage mass murder.
Again I have no idea how it will change.
Humanity should be past all this. Sometimes I think we are much closer to the humanoids climbing down from the trees than we are to the utopian egalitarian civil society that we aspire towards and kid ourselves we’re living in.

I was quite shocked to read the article.

I have met quite a few Bangladeshis, in the Middle East and the U.K. and they weren’t very ‘conservative’ at all.

We spent some time in the same hospital ward in Birmingham as a family of 2nd/3rd generation Bangladeshis and the ladies were a really good laugh. One of them in her early 20s was determined not to get married until she’d had a career. They had very westernised values.

I was quite shocked to read the article.

I have met quite a few Bangladeshis, in the Middle East and the U.K. and they weren’t very ‘conservative’ at all.

We spent some time in the same hospital ward in Birmingham as a family of 2nd/3rd generation Bangladeshis and the ladies were a really good laugh. One of them in her early 20s was determined not to get married until she’d had a career. They had very westernised values.
One of my best mates growing up was Bangladeshi. He gave me a floppy disk copy of the Anarchists Cook Book. Thinking about this now, maybe there was a more sinister reason I got it from him rather than a white lad. :eek:

Listening to NPR radio over here stories like this pop up from time to time. There was a case in India - a lass was gang raped on a bus in broad daylight by several blokes while other passengers either cheered on or just looked away. Dirty bitch probably deserved it for not having been clad from head to foot or something.
It’s a sickness in their cociety and I have no idea how it will change.
Equally (Sozz for the tangent) I often complain of the sickness in society over here where it’s become a regular thing for some disaffected person (usually white male) to go into a school or other public place and do a rampage mass murder.
Again I have no idea how it will change.
Humanity should be past all this. Sometimes I think we are much closer to the humanoids climbing down from the trees than we are to the utopian egalitarian civil society that we aspire towards and kid ourselves we’re living in.

Well...the politicians are clearly using that culture as a means of controlling women and they are reinforcing it rather than trying to fight it. This is worth posting again...

Boys are boys, they make mistakes – Mulayam Singh Yadav, Samajwadi party chief.
Our sisters and daughters are getting spoilt. Goa was a city of temples and churches. We don't want pub tourism - Sudin Dhavalikar, Goa Public Works Department minister.
Rape is a social crime which depends on the man and the woman. It is sometimes right and sometimes wrong - – Babulal Gaur, BJP politician and Madhya Pradesh home minister.
Women are “equally responsible” for crimes committed against them - (female) Vibha Rao, chair of the Chhattisgarh State Women Commission.
Women should not venture out with men who are not relatives - Samajwadi party MLA Abu Azmi on increased incidences of rapes in India
Ninety per cent of rapes are "consensual" - Dharamveer Goyat, Hisar Congress spokesperson
We should pay more attention to where our girls are going. A mobile phone is like a disease. It should be banned. We should stop our girls from wearing jeans - Ranvir Singh, Haryana Khap Panchayat leader

Pakistan has long been a basket case and it's awful to see the likes of Bangladesh and India going down the same road. I predict Turkey will do the same eventually if Erdogan manages to firm up his position.

The thing is that we are very fortunate to live in that corner of the world that never adhered to that way of social control. Historically much of it did.

Back