Woke

TheWanderer

Striker
I see this word being used all over social media, seems to have overtaken ‘gammon’ now that brexit has died away and racism is now being brought up all the time.

Has this word always been used for being aware of racism, or has it just recently been adopted as such?

To be fair the older woke generation just cottoned onto the word "Gammon" even though they have a full head of hair and dont drink in Spoons on a regular basis.

I see this word being used all over social media, seems to have overtaken ‘gammon’ now that brexit has died away and racism is now being brought up all the time.

Has this word always been used for being aware of racism, or has it just recently been adopted as such?
It started out as a term used to describe people who were 'awake' or 'woke' to the plight of minorities etc.

People would say it proudly as an identifier of who they are.

Unlike SJW which was intentionally turned into a slur on someones behaviour i.e. the idea of a keyboard warrior fighting for social justice from the comfort of their own home

Woke is still used by people to describe themselves and not seen as a negative by those who describe themselves as being "woke"

I like the word being in use commonly because often people lazily say the leftys or left when its something concerning transgender toilets or checking your white privilege or claiming to be offended by microaggressions and deplatforming people when in reality there's nothing left wing about any of those issues.

So it's nice not to tar all leftys with the same brush and say those people have different priorities

First time I saw it being used was by conspiracy theorists to describe themselves. Don’t think anyone seriously uses the current usage to describe themselves.

Used by people who also use words like 'snowflake' and 'virtue signalling'. Probably voted Brexit and think white males are the most victimised group in society.
"Londonistan" is another. I mean technically it means the place of Londoners but the people that use it generally don't understand language and man something else.

I'll also add that the people who get wound up by its use tend to be ones themselves :lol:

I don't know anyone that uses the term about themselves. I've only heard it used by Piers Morgan and people on here who use it derogatorily.

I also somehow found myself on the Daily Mail comment section about the Victoria Derbyshire story (I was lost), and they were all calling her show woke.

I don't know anyone that uses the term about themselves. I've only heard it used by Piers Morgan and people on here who use it derogatorily.

I also somehow found myself on the Daily Mail comment section about the Victoria Derbyshire story (I was lost), and they were all calling her show woke.
Orh now it definitely is used more derogatory or as an identifier from others to signal a difference between them and somebody who is "woke"

It started out as a term used to describe people who were 'awake' or 'woke' to the plight of minorities etc.

People would say it proudly as an identifier of who they are.

Unlike SJW which was intentionally turned into a slur on someones behaviour i.e. the idea of a keyboard warrior fighting for social justice from the comfort of their own home

Woke is still used by people to describe themselves and not seen as a negative by those who describe themselves as being "woke"

I like the word being in use commonly because often people lazily say the leftys or left when its something concerning transgender toilets or checking your white privilege or claiming to be offended by microaggressions and deplatforming people when in reality there's nothing left wing about any of those issues.

So it's nice not to tar all leftys with the same brush and say those people have different priorities

I may be wrong but I think it was first used by "alt-right" conspiracy theorist types to describe themselves before being culturally appropriated by fannies.

The "alt-right" conspiracy theorist types use the term "based" to describe themselves now.

Back