Wire wool light shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

How do I do them, settings etc?

Just a long exposure, enough to correctly expose the details in the scene without the wire wool, maybe a touch less as light will come from the wool.

I think I've seen enough to last a lifetime mind ;)

You learn something new every day. I always assumed those long exposure shots were done with sparklers.:oops:

what you need:
wire wool (fine grade as others dont burn so easy)
a dog chain
a small piece of wire
a lighter
a camera with bulb mode
a tripod

set up the shot and ready the camera, i usually shoot on bulb mode ( means shutter can be open for as long as you like), choose apperture ( for me normally between f4 -f8, depending on scene), make sure camera is on a tripod to keep it steady, a remote shutter release will help as well.
take your dog chain and attach a bit sturdy wire to the end (about 6" long), attach a clump of wire wool to the bit wire and twist it into place to keep it sturdy so that it wont just fall off before its burned and then just spin it around once you have got it alight.

**please make sure you note the following though.

wear old clothes as sparks occasionly fall off onto clothing and can leave burns in your clothes.
wear a hat or a hoody as you dont want sparks falling onto your hair
make sure you aware of your surroundings, take note of rubbish lying around and things like dry grass as you dont wanna set the place on fire.
make sure your stash of wire wool is well out the way of your spin as you dont want that to go up either
be carefull not to hit yourself while doing it as a burn from it could be nasty
do it at your own risk, dont blame me if it goes wrong :)

hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back