Winter Tyres and Storage

I live near Pompey and had a set of winter tyres on spare wheels for my transit van. I'd put them on as soon as we started to get frosts in the morning and take them off in the spring. About 3 years ago I was the only vehicle to get up a hill near Meonstoke when it was belting down with snow, 4x4's couldn't get up but me old transit just cruised up past the summer tyre lot. A couple of days later I caught up to some boy racer in his wide tyred vauxhall nova on snow covered roads, he put his foot down to keep ahead of me but was sliding all over the place. He eventually lost it on a corner and slid into a ditch, I just shook my head at him as I passed all smug like.
I don't think lowering tyre pressures helps, snow tyres work by snow being trapped in the tread and this snow grips to the snow on the road, a bit like how you make a snow man. With lower pressures the tyres will flex more and snow wont fill the treads. Skinny hard tyres work best in snow and ice.

Not sure if you're the best person to give out safe driving tips.

My dad worked for Dunlop at Washington from it opening to it closing, I'm not allowed cheap tyres. The amount of people who scrimp on the only part of the car to touch the road is unbelievable.
Yawn. As established by statistics many times, I’m one of the safest drivers on here. So, aye, you should take notice.

Saved my arse several times winter before last. I do at least 60 miles a day, and winter tyres make a hell of a difference in snow and ice.

Put them on every winter without fail. First time was back in 2010 when we had the bad snow. Just had a front drive Yaris at the time but it gripped like nobody’s business and even just in wet weather felt a hundred times better than on normal tyres.Had them fitted every year since. It’s hilarious people think that the shit tyres they’ve had on for years will grip in the pissing rain, leaf fall, ice and snow.

I'm considering putting some winter tyres on the family truckster. I don't have a garage, so would struggle to store the summer tyres in winter and vice versa.

Do any tyre places offer storage of tyres in the off season, maybe if you buy your tyres from them in the first place?

Cheers.
If you’re in Sunderland you can store them
In my lockup FOC.

Winter tyres in England FFS.

People need to learn how to drive FFS.

its comical man, me old man drove all his life, from one end of the country to the other , never ever needed winter tyres ffs, my only form of transport years ago was a honda cx500, drove it all year round , we had winters then anarl deep snow, if you think you need winter tyres, well you need some extra lessons to learn how to drive when there is a "dusting " of snow, that's all we get now ffs

Last edited:
Phew !

This thread has reminded me to slip on my winter trainers . You should see me sprint past those morons in their summer trainers on winter days.

Can anyone recommend a storage company where I can hibernate my summer trainers and reclaim them around Easter 2020?

Hell there’ll be winter duvets next .........

Is your car front or rear wheel drive..?

Makes little difference when it comes to stopping.

I've been on winter tyres for a good few winters now and they make a huge difference even when there is no snow. Loads more grip than the summer ones in cold weather.

Recently moved, and now have nowhere to store them anymore, so this year I have switched to "all-season" tyres which will stay on all year round. Hopefully a good compromise - they have actually more grip so far in the warmer dryer weather than my previous (admittedly cheap) summer tyres. How they will perform over winter remains to be seen.

Back