Winter Tyres and Storage

Toyota on Newcastle Road store for free if buying from them.
Got a few sets of tyres there and always had a 4 for 3 offer on so slightly cheaper than online would have cost.
Pay £28 to each time to swap. Won't store them on a separate set of wheels.

Last edited:
Had winter tyres last year, makes a big difference when pulling away in our estate car when the weather's shit. Useless in 5he summer though, had to change them back. For the weather we have probably cross climates are probably the best although they're twice the price

Would all-season tyres be a better solution for us? Winter on those, then the rest on normals?
We have a lot of 5C+ dry days in our winter, which isn't ideal for winter tyres IIRC.
12C+ that knacks them I think? It’s certainly higher than 5.

I’ve had winter tyres the last 3 years as I do a lot of driving and they make a big different. Obviously a lot of thickos think they’re only for snow so don’t bother with them. I’d make them mandatory like they are in a lot of other countries personally.

Really I was only qouting common practice we do on our trucks when snow hits us ... Which ain't a lot in pompey I must admit
I asked a reasonable question regarding storage of tyres. I have been driving for 26 years, and never had an issue with snow even when I had a rear wheel drive car, however, having two small bairns and being financially comfortable enough to do so I will do anything to make my car as safe as I can for transporting them around.

I don't need to be told I am essentially wrong for considering winter tyres, when I live on a hill in a relatively rural part of Durham.

Thanks though.

It’s a load of bollocks I reckon. I drive to Consett every day, where it’s usually a couple of degrees colder than down here and I’ve never required “extra grip”. Even during the massive snowstorms a couple of years ago I got in while people from Consett with winter tyres on didn’t make it.
I asked a reasonable question regarding storage of tyres. I have been driving for 26 years, and never had an issue with snow even when I had a rear wheel drive car, however, having two small bairns and being financially comfortable enough to do so I will do anything to make my car as safe as I can for transporting them around.

I don't need to be told I am essentially wrong for considering winter tyres, when I live on a hill in a relatively rural part of Durham.

Thanks though.
You are though

Didn't say you we're wrong.. Was trying to save you money... It was you that started the rallying bit..good quality tyre of today will give you a nice road grip in snow by lowering the pressure... Hope this conversation is pointless and we don't get any snow..

It’s a load of bollocks I reckon. I drive to Consett every day, where it’s usually a couple of degrees colder than down here and I’ve never required “extra grip”. Even during the massive snowstorms a couple of years ago I got in while people from Consett with winter tyres on didn’t make it.

You are though
Not sure if you're the best person to give out safe driving tips.
Didn't say you we're wrong.. Was trying to save you money... It was you that started the rallying bit..good quality tyre of today will give you a nice road grip in snow by lowering the pressure... Hope this conversation is pointless and we don't get any snow..
My dad worked for Dunlop at Washington from it opening to it closing, I'm not allowed cheap tyres. The amount of people who scrimp on the only part of the car to touch the road is unbelievable.

Last edited:

Back