Winter Coats/Jackets

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Barbour....get it rewaxed once a year (which is piss easy to do as I do mine) wind proof, water proof, stylish.....will last years if you look after it, and for not much outlay all things considered.
Just got mine rewaxed for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Must be over 30 years old.

The lass behind the counter told me to take the badge off cos you can't get them any more.

They did a great job to be fair.

My faithful Fred Perry winter parka is coming to an end after a good few years. Looked at prices for a new one and they're £350ish for a similar one :eek:.

Where's best to look for a heavy duty/waterproof and warm coat that will last a few years?

I'm tempted to wait until January to see if there are any on sale.

I work in Newcastle and Slaters has a canny sale on.

Just got mine rewaxed for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Must be over 30 years old.

The lass behind the counter told me to take the badge off cos you can't get them any more.

They did a great job to be fair.
Was that through Barbour or someone else? heard that Barbour’s customers service is top notch...

I rewaxed my Barbour Bristol jacket and totally fucked it up- the wax penetrated through the inner lining. Followed the instructions to the letter anarl 😔

Got last seasons model in Navy of this one from Flannels for about £450 last March just took the tags off 2 weeks ago and its class.

Also bought this one for £500 odd in red and not impressed at all for the price much prefer the SI.

Expensive but previous one I had lasted 10 years so hopefully will work out £45 per year

Last edited:
Got last seasons model in Navy of this one from Flannels for about £450 last March just took the tags off 2 weeks ago and its class.

Also bought this one for £500 odd in red and not impressed at all for the price much prefer the SI.

Expensive but previous one I had lasted 10 years so hopefully will work out £45 per year

Too expensive for me that like. Id rather get one for say £200 and get another one in 3/4 years.

I rewaxed my Barbour Bristol jacket and totally fucked it up- the wax penetrated through the inner lining. Followed the instructions to the letter anarl 😔
Did two of mine this time last year. Bit of a clart on at first and they stunk for a bit but worked out great. Using the hair dryer on it once waxed was key.

Depends on whether you're desperate for a 'label'. Was pricing stuff up last week with names on them, even reduced you were talking north of 300 quid for a decent one. However, I have a bought a parka from M&S for £199 a couple of weeks ago which does everything an £800 branded coat does.

Edit: Winter Down Filled Parka | M&S Collection | M&S
That’s like something Roy Cropper would turn out to the Rovers in.

I was in Reynolds the other day and they had a Swedish make in all reduced to less than half price (about £50). Great fit, looked good and were warm as owt.

Didriksons was the make.

Last edited:
My faithful Fred Perry winter parka is coming to an end after a good few years. Looked at prices for a new one and they're £350ish for a similar one :eek:.

Where's best to look for a heavy duty/waterproof and warm coat that will last a few years?

I've been rocking my north face for the last 5 years and it's been class? Sometimes it's a bit to warm when walking the dog and it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

Barbour wax Jackets are for Blokes who gan ratting or lamping .

best jacket I’ve got is the Canada Goose.Had it a couple of year now and the CG is toastie warm .

Been interested in a waxed Barbour for ages, but the fact you can't really clean them (other than wiping down the outside) puts me off. Do they not absolutely hum after years of not being cleaned?
Great gear in general, loads of bargains to be had at the factory shop in Shields, got mine for £139 instead of £289 a couple of years ago and it still looks brand new, also some nice t-shirt in there last week, picked up a couple for £8 each! That's Primark territory and they are excellent quality.

Belstaff Tourmaster £205 and Roadmaster £238 at Flannels with discount codes from Hotukdeals. But they're not warm unless you layer up.

Tourmaster
Roadmaster

Mens Grey or Black, Funnel neck coat, £59 from M&S.

Logon or register to see this image
Shite in the rain though, still need a good waterproof winter jacket.

I got a Vans snowboarding jacket in TK Maxx for £60 5 years ago. Only replaced it this year because I walked into a fence and caught the sleeve on a bit of wire. Got another Vans coat this year from TK Maxx for £70.

Been interested in a waxed Barbour for ages, but the fact you can't really clean them (other than wiping down the outside) puts me off. Do they not absolutely hum after years of not being cleaned?
if you don’t dry and store them properly they smell of damp and it can’t be removed. Had to get rid of mine.

Back