Winter Coats/Jackets

xmfd

Winger
My faithful Fred Perry winter parka is coming to an end after a good few years. Looked at prices for a new one and they're £350ish for a similar one :eek:.

Where's best to look for a heavy duty/waterproof and warm coat that will last a few years?

I'm tempted to wait until January to see if there are any on sale.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Barbour....get it rewaxed once a year (which is piss easy to do as I do mine) wind proof, water proof, stylish.....will last years if you look after it, and for not much outlay all things considered.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Barbour....get it rewaxed once a year (which is piss easy to do as I do mine) wind proof, water proof, stylish.....will last years if you look after it, and for not much outlay all things considered.

Correct. Mine will be 30 years old in just over a fortnight. Been waxed twice. Still in great order.

Unless you buy a liner, then you have to layer the fuck up with Barbours as they’re not exactly warm imo.

My faithful Fred Perry winter parka is coming to an end after a good few years. Looked at prices for a new one and they're £350ish for a similar one :eek:.

Where's best to look for a heavy duty/waterproof and warm coat that will last a few years?

I'm tempted to wait until January to see if there are any on sale.
Wait until the summer, they'll be cheaper then.

Got a Rab one last year that's Down filled and waterproof and that is spot on

Used it in Lithuania when it got down to about -10 and wasn't cold at all

Unless you buy a liner, then you have to layer the fuck up with Barbours as they’re not exactly warm imo.

Was it you that had a berghaus one a while back? They any good if so?
Got a Rab one last year that's Down filled and waterproof and that is spot on

Used it in Lithuania when it got down to about -10 and wasn't cold at all

Was that the hoody jacket mate? Looks alreet for the money that.

Last edited:
Was it you that had a berghaus one a while back? They any good if so?

I picked up a Berghaus Ramche for £100 from the Berghaus place down Dalton Park last year, it retails at £300

Its an amazing jacket, unbelievably warm, but only good in light rain/snow, once it starts bucketing down and you've been out in it for a while, then it does leak in certain parts. I'd have a look down there if a technical jacket is what you're after.

Been interested in a waxed Barbour for ages, but the fact you can't really clean them (other than wiping down the outside) puts me off. Do they not absolutely hum after years of not being cleaned?

Been interested in a waxed Barbour for ages, but the fact you can't really clean them (other than wiping down the outside) puts me off. Do they not absolutely hum after years of not being cleaned?
most stuff will generally brush off, so it depends what you get on it...Barbour will clean and re wax it for £30.....quite a quick turn around...
I've heard of people before they re wax it, turn it inside out and do it up then stick it on a cold was and leave to air dry then wax it.....or a dollopo of frebreeze...

I've had a mine a good few years still smells fine...

most stuff will generally brush off, so it depends what you get on it...Barbour will clean and re wax it for £30.....quite a quick turn around...
I've heard of people before they re wax it, turn it inside out and do it up then stick it on a cold was and leave to air dry then wax it.....or a dollopo of frebreeze...

I've had a mine a good few years still smells fine...
they are self cleaning
just like a cat lie on the rug in front of the fire and lick yourself clean

Just bought a Trespass down filled jacket yesterday was only 60 quid but not expecting it to last more than 1 or 2 winters to be honest

Back