Wine

When I am not drinking - like at home - I will have Pinot Grigio. I enjoy Malbec and Shiraz and currently have 5 bottles of Andreas Shiraz (from South Africa) to work through. It is about £18 a bottle if you can find it. Bloody lovely.

What’s your choice marra ?
Like a nice dry white myself

Oh, sorry, was on about whisky.

Wine wise, I'm a red fella, but like yourself, dry. Merlot, Chianti or Rioja for me. They tend to have a dry finish.

Only drink white with food, unless the missus has cracked one open. I know the snobs diss Chardonnay, but it's the closest variety of wine to Champagne.

Last edited:
I obtained a diploma in Beers, Wines & Spirits when I worked for a firm called Bottoms Up years ago (part of Peter Dominic off licence chain. later taken over by Threshers)

The thing to quality (apart from one's own taste, obviously) is the grape and vintage ... not the cost and certainly not the % strength by volume (I really despair when I see pseudo-experts, normally chavs, rating wine using this as a measure.

Certainly with whites, and this is because of the screw-top issue, they don't age very well at all. Reds age better but not as good as they used to.

Last years popular white was Pinot Grigio, but it's been surpassed this year by Sauvignon Blanc. It's grown in all parts of the world, but - for me - the current 2017 vintage from NZ is truly awesome. Australia comes a close second, followed by Chile.

Asda do a couple but the best by far is Kiwi something (it even has a picture of a Kiwi on the label) and it's betwixt £6 & £7.50

Yes, there are dearer wines but this idea that "you get what you pay for" is shite. It's all down to taste, so sample loads and end up buying what you like, don't believe the hype.

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc a great tip, had a few bottles last Christmas at a party, very nice stuff.

Back