Windows update

box2box

Striker
on my laptop seemingly not got to plan, ‘ serious disk error’ and all icons vanished from desktop.....can get task manager but that’s about it, any ideas how to get the laptop back to normal ?

on my laptop seemingly not got to plan, ‘ serious disk error’ and all icons vanished from desktop.....can get task manager but that’s about it, any ideas how to get the laptop back to normal ?
I tend to recharge the battery, turn it on and lo and behold, every is there again.

In Task manager, processes tab, you can start a new process. Do that and type the word: explorer

And hit enter. Should get the desktop up. Take a full back up and then get the disk replaced.

Can you get to command prompt? Run a chkdsk. If you can’t get to command prompt, press CTRL ALT + Delete once you get the options screen hold down shift and select restart and that will take you to the advance start up options, run a chkdsk /f from there.

Which version of windows are you running?

If W7 or 8, boot it into advanced menu and select "last known good configuration". This should roll back any changes made. Or, boot into safe mode and use system restore to restore it back to a working state.

If Win 10 then same thing, although I'm not sure where advanced menus are on W10. Google 'safe mode and sys restore W10'

chkdsk won't fix it, and neither will forcing explorer.exe to start.

Which version of windows are you running?

If W7 or 8, boot it into advanced menu and select "last known good configuration". This should roll back any changes made. Or, boot into safe mode and use system restore to restore it back to a working state.

If Win 10 then same thing, although I'm not sure where advanced menus are on W10. Google 'safe mode and sys restore W10'

chkdsk won't fix it, and neither will forcing explorer.exe to start.

Cheers, it's win 10 on a Lenovo . How do you get into advance menu ?

Back