Windermere

L

Lexingtongue

Off up there for a few nights next week. Been loads before but generally hang around the town or head for a few hours in Ambleside. Anyone recommend any nice walks or other nearby villages that I can check out? Recommendations for places to eat would also be appreciated so I can branch out from my usual Vinegar Jones. :lol:

Hooked does fantastic seafood and the Crafty Baa is absolutely brilliant for proper snacks and beer.

Edit - like Cafe Italia too but last time we were up they still don't take card which is a right pain in the arse when you've had food and a few drinks.

Last edited:
There in Bowness now. Passenger ferry to Ferry house and walk up the west of the lake to Wray Castle. About 4 miles. Then have options to go on walk to Hawkshead 3 miles or Ambleside. (Possibly foot ferry to Ambleside) and main ferry to Bowness.

Off up there for a few nights next week. Been loads before but generally hang around the town or head for a few hours in Ambleside. Anyone recommend any nice walks or other nearby villages that I can check out? Recommendations for places to eat would also be appreciated so I can branch out from my usual Vinegar Jones. :lol:

Wansfell. Challenging little hike. You can go up and down the other side in roughly two hours. Go into troutbeck and visit the Mortal Man Inn for a few hours then walk back around the fell. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Cafe Italia in Windermere village is spot on for breakfast, coffee, dinner or tea.

The Glenridding Hotel beside Ullswater is a great pub, nice drive too from Windermere.

Lots from this fella. Some good walks, depending on your level of fitness.

Grasmere to Easedale Tarn is nice if you get nice weather and can have a picnic at the top

Back