Will we sign anybody before 5pm Monday?

See people saying strikers but we have 3 who are proven in this league and would start in most other teams. teams would love to bring grigg off the bench. Our preferred formation id to play one up front with McGuire behind so I don't think buying another striker will solve the problems we have.they are elsewhere - either midfield or tactics.

If we don’t have decent money to splash I’d rather we loaned some promising youngsters. In the past year we seem to have settled for solid and average league one players. I hoped we’d be signing the best players from league one rivals but we’ve never done this.

Makes you wonder how far away the takeover must be if we’re not prepared to gamble now

If we don’t have decent money to splash I’d rather we loaned some promising youngsters. In the past year we seem to have settled for solid and average league one players. I hoped we’d be signing the best players from league one rivals but we’ve never done this.

Makes you wonder how far away the takeover must be if we’re not prepared to gamble now
Thing is the loans we've had-Sinclair, the spurs youngster and Morgan have been no better than what we have....our recruitment to date has not been good.

Personally feel that we should have enough to get promoted if managed correctly bar a LB

The fact our head recruiter “doesn’t rate” Maddison should probably give away whether they’re up to it or not, sadly.
He’s backtracking now, something in one of the Sunday rags saying it’s not that they don’t rate him, he’s just not rated as worth 2.5m

I wouldn’t hold my breath based on what those responsible for recruitment have given us so far.

I just hope the present squad has enough to keep us in touching distance of the top two until the new owners get their feet under the table.

Surely once they’ve had chance to assess the collective merits of the current recruitment team they’ll be out the door sharpish with a new staff in place in plenty of time to rectify things in the January window.

The fact our head recruiter “doesn’t rate” Maddison should probably give away whether they’re up to it or not, sadly.
This isn't entirely true is it. He doesn't rate him as worth 2.5m. Nor, it would appear, does anyone else. He's talented without doubt but that's a massive fee and I'd much prefer we identified someone that is about to be that player than be held to ransom over Maddison.
He’s backtracking now, something in one of the Sunday rags saying it’s not that they don’t rate him, he’s just not rated as worth 2.5m
Said this a while ago, can't remember where I saw it but suspect that's always been the position.

Last edited:
Let's be positive.

Let's assume we're playing chicken and we'll land him at 4pm on Monday for 1.25m ?

This isn't entirely true is it. He doesn't rate him as worth 2.5m. Nor, it would appear, does anyone else. He's talented without doubt but that's a massive fee and I'd much prefer we identified someone that is about to be that player than be held to ransom over Maddison.

Said this a while ago, can't remember where I saw it but suspect that's always been the position.

That’s why we do what’s called “negotiating”.

Now, when someone comes along and says the price of a player is £2.5 million, we don’t just say “oh, ok then” in our best Marvin voice, we say “we won’t pay that much. We will give you £1 million” and take it from there.

We need Maddison , another centre forward with actual pace and a left back. We aren't gonna buy another centre mid with the amount we have on the books already. It's a case of getting the right balance in there with enough mobility to combat sides who are up for it, so we arrest control of a match when it's tasty and not just sit off to ride it out.

Let's be positive.

Let's assume we're playing chicken and we'll land him at 4pm on Monday for 1.25m ?
Unlikely but wouldn't be entirely surprised either.
That’s why we do what’s called “negotiating”.

Now, when someone comes along and says the price of a player is £2.5 million, we don’t just say “oh, ok then” in our best Marvin voice, we say “we won’t pay that much. We will give you £1 million” and take it from there.
We're not in a great negotiating position!

Back