Will the "on the phone" hand gesture die out?

Had to explain the concept of a cassette to my 12 year old last night after seeing a mixtape on Stranger Things

Her response 'so it's like a playlist?'

When her mam said she used to tape the radio it blew her mind

Saw a series a couple of years ago set in the sixties. There was a scene where someone had to make an urgent phone call. The phone was the type that had a handset with push buttons on the main part.

The young actress rushed over, grabbed the handset and pushed it into her armpit, held the bulky main part in both hands and tried to dial the buttons with her thumbs! Poor girl looked like she was have a wrestling match with it.

Obviously neither she nor the director had ever seen anyone using this kind of old-fashioned phone before!

You know the one. Thumb up, little finger out, mimicking a telephone handset.

We've not had a landline phone in our house for years now. But even when we did it was a small cordless one, similar to the old Nokia phones.

There's probably a generation of people early 20s or younger never used a phone connected with a cord.
The hand gesture to signal this with the thumb and little finger mimicks the shape of an old style phone.

What will the youth of today do in the future do to pretend being on the phone?
Hold their hand flat against their face?

Another great tradition dying out :(
I miss the satisfying feeling of dialing a number on an old fashioned phone with a dial instead of buttons. :D

Phones with cords still all over the workplace
Only time it was ever used was in a "give me a ring " from 500 yards away situation wasnt it ?

Back