Will Grigg

Just read that Parkinson has advised Will Grigg to move to the area to improve his performances at Sunderland. I didn’t know that he didn’t live up here and thought that the days of players living miles away from the area had gone with the premiership days.
To me it highlights how he’s never been invested in the club from day one.
Should we be insisting on players settling in the area as part of their contracts to show their commitment to the club, the fans and the area? In the position we’re in we really need our players to “buy in” to our club, it’s history and the commitment to get back up the leagues. If they don’t want to be here, they’re not the right people to bring in IMO.

Tbf to him he was signed on deadline day very late on, rushed up here without time to think and then the games came thick and fast. He should definitely be taking this time to get assurances he’s wanted here, and if so, move up here to live

Tbf to him he was signed on deadline day very late on, rushed up here without time to think and then the games came thick and fast. He should definitely be taking this time to get assurances he’s wanted here, and if so, move up here to live
We have a player liaison officer for stuff like helping with somewhere to live, bills , schools etc. No excuse. Players usually live near each other round durham or cleadon. Not worthy lived next to training ground. Probs walked to work :) no excuse for not moving up. Unless he wanted his wife far away? So the rumors go.

I thought most people knew by now the reason why he’s never moved up.

It’s fairly clear that he never wanted to come here – and the only reason it did happen was that Wigan would have missed out on the ridiculous figure that we paid for him.

My understanding from people I know and trust is that Grigg, shall we say, had a lot on his plate at home to contend with. He’s never been happy here. He’s unlikely to move his family up here, it seems, and so he probably never will be happy here.

Sadly he’s proved to be nothing more than a (red and) white elephant. It’s all just so utterly, ridiculously Sunderland, isn’t it?

He clearly isn't very ambitious and was comfortable where he was. Can't understand it personally - if I was a footballer I'd want to play for the biggest club possible for as long as I physically could.

To be fair he did drop down a Division and wasn't playing so you can see why he'd be a bit gutted. however, he should have realised that if he put the graft in he could have fired us back up to the Championship and we'd have loved him.

I thought most people knew by now the reason why he’s never moved up.

It’s fairly clear that he never wanted to come here – and the only reason it did happen was that Wigan would have missed out on the ridiculous figure that we paid for him.

My understanding from people I know and trust is that Grigg, shall we say, had a lot on his plate at home to contend with. He’s never been happy here. He’s unlikely to move his family up here, it seems, and so he probably never will be happy here.

Sadly he’s proved to be nothing more than a (red and) white elephant. It’s all just so utterly, ridiculously Sunderland, isn’t it?
It's criminal scouting of the highest order.
How often has this club ignored the 'character' element of the recruitment process that the man in my avatar wrote the book on.
Disgraceful incompetence.

I said in a thread absolutely ages ago that I thought the reason he was so shit and not playing like the player he was at previous clubs was because he looked depressed, probably because he's away from his family all the time.

If he's splitting his time here with spending time in Wigan, he's obviously not going to be fully commited. He either needs to move his family up here and commit himself to the club, or fuck off.

It might help if the manager asking him to move to the area had a clue on how to set up a team with anything other than an immobile lump up front. I wouldn't move up either if the Burton home game is how he thinks Parky will play him.

Back