Will companies want workers to work at home when covid has disappeared?

Well you're on here. Are you supposed to be working?

You know you can have a bit of crack & work at the same time.?
Exactly, as I was saying it's all very possible to do it remotely, but I get the impression some people go to work and the work is second priority to all the chatter.

No brainier, if it was my business and I could save £s it would happen.
Current technology will only improve adding to the work from home opportunity.
So long as people can be accountable and productive it’s got to be.
This will be the one of the biggest changes because of this virus.
My family all work from home now, and it works.

Justification to work with colleagues in one building is hard when the savings are huge.

Split working (2 days home/3 days office) just been approved starting next week. Even better in the summer as my desk looks right out the back onto neighbours. Here's hoping the women likes to sunbath during the summer :)
No brainier, if it was my business and I could save £s it would happen.
Current technology will only improve adding to the work from home opportunity.
So long as people can be accountable and productive it’s got to be.
This will be the one of the biggest changes because of this virus.
My family all work from home now, and it works.

Justification to work with colleagues in one building is hard when the savings are huge.
A lot colleagues are not people I would ever want to mix with socially anyway so not seeing them would be an advantage

Last edited:
Just had a call. Permanent home working for me and a patriae.
Not too excited yet as they just paid 150 off and they are constantly reviewing trying to save money

I work 30 miles from the office, I have a spare room on the house which is now "The Office".
Saving a fortune on the commute and work expenses (do you need a clean shirt EVERY day? :) )

I worry about the economy.
Fuel stations will see a dive in sales.
Garages will struggle as no one is doing the miles.
City centre restaurants, hotels and bars will suffer.

On the flip side I think there may be and upshift in the housing market as people start looking for more space and bedrooms/office space.

Don't know where we are on holidays though ...

Do you think WFH will become the norm for office workers?
If so will companies offer lower salaries as they'll be equally attractive when commuting costs are taken out?
Will your company prefer to have you where they can see you?
Asking as a mate of mine said if the choice was go back to the office for the same pay or WFH for 3k less, he'd WFH.

My company is taking the opportunity to finally produce a real WFH policy that considers working hours (potentially less when WFH) , insurance, equipment costs etc.

So I think it's a yes. WFH will become a permanent feature of some description.

for office workers - it could happen but you will need to heat your house in the winter, boil your kettle etc so you'll lose out there.
You may need to take out insurance if you have a home office.
Car insurance may be lower as you don't commute
BUT the biggest thing is you don't have to suffer all the dull, fat, morons at work. Every cloud!

our lass (Gentoo) going back June 1st. Looked to me like the job could’ve been done from home from where I was sat with my hands down my trackies, drinking Mahou, but what would I know.

for office workers - it could happen but you will need to heat your house in the winter, boil your kettle etc so you'll lose out there.
You may need to take out insurance if you have a home office.
Car insurance may be lower as you don't commute
BUT the biggest thing is you don't have to suffer all the dull, fat, morons at work. Every cloud!
Will extra home fuel bills be offset by not having commuting costs.

Are you working or having a laugh? I enjoy both, but I prefer to get my work done first.

I think home working is helping find out who actually does the work and who is just there for a chat and a coffee.

If working isn't bearable, get a job that you enjoy.
I bet the people who you work with have a right old chuckle every time you leave the room mind. Do you schedule "fun time" in your diary with prompt start and finish times?

I bet the people who you work with have a right old chuckle every time you leave the room mind. Do you schedule "fun time" in your diary with prompt start and finish times?
Would you be scared to chuckle while I’m in the room?
On a night out with work, I have a laugh as much as the next guy.

I don’t spend all day avoiding work by chatting to work colleagues.

it’s all about the balance, some people don’t have the right balance.

Would you be scared to chuckle while I’m in the room?
On a night out with work, I have a laugh as much as the next guy.

I don’t spend all day avoiding work by chatting to work colleagues.

it’s all about the balance, some people don’t have the right balance.
Of course I wouldn't. I'd probably talk about non work stuff more whenever you were around if anything.

Home office have set out plans for people returning back to their offices. I doubt we will stray much further from that plan.
Basically only those who cannot work from home, then those in vulnerable home environments will be allowed back. Then those with some duties that have to be done in the office then those working on 'highly collaborative projects'. I can't see many returning this side of Christmas and I think they will be re-thinking the whole accommodation strategy in the meantime.

Back