Wildlife bonanza!

Was walking along the river in Blandford in Dorset during mi lunch, saw an Otter for the first time in ages…then a Kingfisher does a fly by over it!
:cool:

I gave a Giant Otter an existential crisis this weekend

Love it :cool::lol:

Well done Chrissy lad

I’d steal a penguin…
Great pics of the big cats !

There was a snow leopard too proper sat back chilling on some rocks but I couldn't get a good enough picture. The lion was also there, but in lay down in the trees. You certainly heard him when he piped up though!

Capybara never fail to make me smile. They're giant guinea-pigs who have the most world weary expression of any animal I've seen.
It's like Resting Bitch Face on a mega-rodent

There was a snow leopard too proper sat back chilling on some rocks but I couldn't get a good enough picture. The lion was also there, but in lay down in the trees. You certainly heard him when he piped up though!

Capybara never fail to make me smile. They're giant guinea-pigs who have the most world weary expression of any animal I'It's like Resting Bitch Face on a mega-rodent.
I stayed at Port Lympne in Kent, they have a safari experience where you stay in posh tents next to the lake and watch Giraffes, Zebra etc all grazing and drinking from the lake when you wake up...all very nice. About 6am I get woken up by a Lion giving it 10/10 from his enclosure, nearly shat myself...the air was vibrating, their enclosure was about 200m away.

I stayed at Port Lympne in Kent, they have a safari experience where you stay in posh tents next to the lake and watch Giraffes, Zebra etc all grazing and drinking from the lake when you wake up...all very nice. About 6am I get woken up by a Lion giving it 10/10 from his enclosure, nearly shat myself...the air was vibrating, their enclosure was about 200m away.

Yorkshire Wildlife Park does "Roars and Snores" I believe. Looking forward to giving that a go one weekend

Was walking along the river in Blandford in Dorset during mi lunch, saw an Otter for the first time in ages…then a Kingfisher does a fly by over it!
:cool:

Its a beautiful part of the country. I holidayed on a friends farm in Three Legged Cross for 10 consecutive years and found the wildlife amazing. The only place Ive ever seen a Nightjar, and heard a Nightingale sing. Flycatchers were common as were quite a different number of owls, but the most fascinating thing I saw was during the scorching hot summer of 1976. Came back in the dark from a bight out and saw Glow Worms in amongst the Honeysuckle.

Its a beautiful part of the country. I holidayed on a friends farm in Three Legged Cross for 10 consecutive years and found the wildlife amazing. The only place Ive ever seen a Nightjar, and heard a Nightingale sing. Flycatchers were common as were quite a different number of owls, but the most fascinating thing I saw was during the scorching hot summer of 1976. Came back in the dark from a bight out and saw Glow Worms in amongst the Honeysuckle.
I've lived here for just over a year, the amount of wildlife is absolutely amazing. I've seen untold amounts of different birds..Mink, Otters...

I'm pretty sure (99%) I saw a lynx or some sort of big cat the other week across the new forest, but that's a different story!

I used to be VERY interested in ABC's in the UK, have you reported the sighting to anyone?
Not yet....
The weekend of the second storm a few weeks back I was driving back from Brighton to Dorset. A Road had been closed so I was driving around trying to figure how the hell to get home. I was driving across a section of the new forest where you give way to others coming and started to slow as a silver Merc ( I remember that bit) was coming towards me but still some way off....something bigger than a dog by some way ran across the road, not full out...it was dusk and rainy and cloudy, but it was nearly black in colour...say 30meters away, it ran into the scrub. At that point a herd of deer came steaming out of the scrub in front of my car in the opposite direction...it wasn't until I'd gone past my brain went 'Eh?....the fuck was that?'
I've watched so many big cat documentaries. I know the movement of them, but still doubt myself if you get what I mean...

Bastard Otters.
Not a Fisherman’s best friend.

Not many people see them in the wild thus you are lucky.
Not yet....
The weekend of the second storm a few weeks back I was driving back from Brighton to Dorset. A Road had been closed so I was driving around trying to figure how the hell to get home. I was driving across a section of the new forest where you give way to others coming and started to slow as a silver Merc ( I remember that bit) was coming towards me but still some way off....something bigger than a dog by some way ran across the road, not full out...it was dusk and rainy and cloudy, but it was nearly black in colour...say 30meters away, it ran into the scrub. At that point a herd of deer came steaming out of the scrub in front of my car in the opposite direction...it wasn't until I'd gone past my brain went 'Eh?....the fuck was that?'
I've watched so many big cat documentaries. I know the movement of them, but still doubt myself if you get what I mean...

Definitely seen a “big cat” many years ago, both the Mrs (no) and myself watched it in a field as it disappeared over a dip.
Height of a large Black Labrador but far longer in the body, longer tail and the walk so distinctive of a cat.
Been other sightings but that was 15 or so years back.

Last edited:

Back