Wigan post Record Loss

It was common knowledge they were overpaying on wages etc to buy themselves out of L1, but to post such a loss in the Championship when relegation was the outcome shows what a basket case of an owner they had.

Will Grigg
Thankfully, we had enough income from season tickets and matchday tickets to take a hit on one overpaid dud. They had both Wyke and Magennis on £12k+ a week, which is about their entire season ticket revenue. Then there was Maclean and Power who didnt come cheap....

Thankfully, we had enough income from season tickets and matchday tickets to take a hit on one overpaid dud. They had both Wyke and Magennis on £12k+ a week, which is about their entire season ticket revenue. Then there was Maclean and Power who didnt come cheap....
£12k for Wyke.😲

They were told but wouldn't listen.

My favourite response was from @latic:

The wages were only a day late not ideal I know but not a big alarm. The CEO says it was a problem with the system and won’t happen again. The story been blown up out of all proportion tbh.

Last edited:
Loads of clubs are posting big losses. I have a feeling ours will be dreadful as well.
I'm not so sure. Wigan lost £7.7m in the season they went up on a turnover of £8.3m and reached the 4th round of the FA Cup and the Pizza trophy semi final. In that season we lost £5.1m on a turnover of £26m and went out of the FA cup in the 1st round and the pizza trophy at the first knock-out stage. There was the Carabao Cup run, but that pays peanuts. Last season we were on TV around 25 times, reached the 4th round replay of the FA Cup (which was televised), and will have received a share of the championship playoff money, along with Stoke's Compo for Baldy twat. I'd be very surprised if we posted a double digit million loss.

Too many professional clubs in this country and footballers wages far in excess of their true worth/value ... rich people losing their shirts on owning clubs .. structural change is coming .

The whole thing is ready to burst. No football club should be ran at a loss. The end. It means that rich owners are required to prop the game up. Its completely flawed

Back