Wigan losing another player

They're not really a big team though.

There's no real way of making money without throwing a load of money at it first.

Not a big club in the grand scheme of things, but they've definitely got some of the best infrastructure and support in the division plus a recent history of silverware and top flight/championship football. Even if you have to spend a bit to get going I think that £3m is definitely a good deal for someone.

With Garner, Massey, Lee Evans etc still there they've got a good core of players. You don't need to spend a lot of money at this level, you just need to be smart. The fact it's dragged on this long means this season is a write off though.

It's a modern-day scandal. A well run club that was doing fine in the Championship now starving for cash.

In fairness, despite the fact they were doing well on the pitch I think they had a ridiculous wages/turnover ratio that would not have been sustainable for very long. Clearly some serious shenanigans have gone on in Hong Kong though.

Not a big club in the grand scheme of things, but they've definitely got some of the best infrastructure and support in the division plus a recent history of silverware and top flight/championship football. Even if you have to spend a bit to get going I think that £3m is definitely a good deal for someone.

With Garner, Massey, Lee Evans etc still there they've got a good core of players. You don't need to spend a lot of money at this level, you just need to be smart. The fact it's dragged on this long means this season is a write off though.

In fairness, despite the fact they were doing well on the pitch I think they had a ridiculous wages/turnover ratio that would not have been sustainable for very long. Clearly some serious shenanigans have gone on in Hong Kong though.
I think you're overestimating their support to be honest.

It's only ever going to be a viable business in the Premier League and the amount of investment required get there isn't going to be offset by the gate money they generate.
It's a modern-day scandal. A well run club that was doing fine in the Championship now starving for cash.
They're starving for cash because it wasn't that well run.

Last edited:

It's only ever going to be a viable business in the Premier League and the amount of investment required get there isn't going to be offset by the gate money they generate.

Barnsley managed to find a level of sustainability/profit fluctating between L1/championship with similar levels of support, maybe that's what that Ganaye fella has in mind for the model they want to follow seeing as he used to be chief exec there.

They were comfortably in the Championship with a core of good young players they could easily have sold for 5 fold what they have.

Their model relies heavily on player sales. This is not on the club at all, it's on the owner who may not have existed that bet on them to go down then disappeared when it looked like it wasn't going to happen.

They were comfortably in the Championship with a core of good young players they could easily have sold for 5 fold what they have.

Their model relies heavily on player sales. This is not on the club at all, it's on the owner who may not have existed that bet on them to go down then disappeared when it looked like it wasn't going to happen.
Their model relied heavily on Dave Whelan pumping in £800K a month.

Admins are now saying that they may not survive the season: Gerald Krasner Pt 4

No we wouldn’t finish the season if no buyer came in, there are too many things that can effect it for me to give you a date, it’s not Christmas, it’s before Christmas in my opinion.

Interesting interview with Alan Nixon.

Wigan's wage bill is described as 'ridiculous'.

Previous owners chucked a load of money at winning promotion to the Premier League and then pulled the plug when they didn't.

One of the current bidders is described as a 'complete fantasist' who 'couldn't raise £4 let alone £4M.'

Back