Wigan Boss - Paul Cook

Cook would be a good option.. for a start he might get the best out of Grigg

I’d prefer Stendel but of the realistic names mentioned Cook would be my second choice. His contract expires in the summer so I doubt compensation would be too steep. They owe us as well having taken us to the cleaners with the Grigg fee!

You wonder on here who some would be satisfied with,every fucker mentioned gets written off.
Obviously only a Guardiola, Wenger or Mourinho.
Sam Allardyce (who isn’t interested) or Chris Hughton (who I can see holding out for a championship/lower PL side later on in the season).

We need to realise where we are, whilst we’re a big club we are a third division side with a fan base who will only accept promotion this season.

That means the shortlist of managers actually interested will be full of names who aren’t quite as famous as what we’re used to. The Jack Ross appointment came out of nowhere and I think that’s the level we need to accept.

It means that the likes of Stendel/Ainsworth/Cook are probably the best we could attract at this current moment.

Sam Allardyce (who isn’t interested) or Chris Hughton (who I can see holding out for a championship/lower PL side later on in the season).

We need to realise where we are, whilst we’re a big club we are a third division side with a fan base who will only accept promotion this season.

That means the shortlist of managers actually interested will be full of names who aren’t quite as famous as what we’re used to. The Jack Ross appointment came out of nowhere and I think that’s the level we need to accept.

It means that the likes of Stendel/Ainsworth/Cook are probably the best we could attract at this current moment.
Also means there's little or nothing coming in investment wise, those mentioned (and one of that 3 will get the job imo) are not the choices of a club about to be minted.

Also means there's little or nothing coming in investment wise, those mentioned (and one of that 3 will get the job imo) are not the choices of a club about to be minted.

Looking that way. I suspect Donald has asked Sartori to provide some extra funding to see us up this season and the American deal has collapsed. Haven't heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised if John Hayes has been approached.

Wigan fans seem happy enough for him to leave. Not a ringing endorsement. The names in the frame it seems, just smack of very poor forward thinking and Donald deserves criticism here.

Wigan fans seem happy enough for him to leave. Not a ringing endorsement. The names in the frame it seems, just smack of very poor forward thinking and Donald deserves criticism here.

It's always worth listening to fans of clubs who actually watch their games. The Wigan fan who came on here the other day said the football was great in L1 but that Cook had adapted his style in the Championship. What you have to ask is why he did that. Did he lose his bottle or did he adapt to the budget Wigan have which obviously leaves them at a big disadvantage compared to about two thirds of the league. It's never as straightforward as just looking at results.

It's always worth listening to fans of clubs who actually watch their games. The Wigan fan who came on here the other day said the football was great in L1 but that Cook had adapted his style in the Championship. What you have to ask is why he did that. Did he lose his bottle or did he adapt to the budget Wigan have which obviously leaves them at a big disadvantage compared to about two thirds of the league. It's never as straightforward as just looking at results.
Totally agree. You can't kid the fans in general and if they're saying good riddance, then that makes me sceptical. Compare that to Barnsley fans reaction to Stendel leaving for e.g. and it's night and day. Neither would be my ideal choice mind, as experience at a relatively decent size club is more important than league 1 experience for me, but it does tell you a story.

Totally agree. You can't kid the fans in general and if they're saying good riddance, then that makes me sceptical. Compare that to Barnsley fans reaction to Stendel leaving for e.g. and it's night and day. Neither would be my ideal choice mind, as experience at a relatively decent size club is more important than league 1 experience for me, but it does tell you a story.
Same with Wycombe fans with Ainsworth I suppose.

Fuck me another tosser god help us another season in this f cking league
Why would he give us “another season in this league”? He’s been promoted from L2 with Chesterfield and Portsmouth, and promoted from L1 with Wigan.

People saying we need someone with experience of getting out of this league, then as soon as we are linked with someone with exactly that then they aren’t good enough.

Not for me. He might get us up but there’ll be no long term with this bloke. Absolute pisshead too which doesn’t sit well with me.

Think the idea we can promote someone now who is a cert for long term is fanciful mind. not saying that cook is a good or bad thing, but Ross was meant to be long term. Long term is almost a rarity at the moment, you're looking for someone to do something a bit special for that.

Come on man, read inbetween the lines. Cook has been at wigan and doen the job stendel done at Barnsley and now hasn't got the finance to take them much further and it's a slow process. Cook has raised expectations and familiarity breeds contempt just like it did here with Reid.

Stendel got Barnsley promoted and then struggled looking like relegation favourites from the off.

Players have been sold from under both of them. Cook has seemingly outdated his welcome, Stendel didn't get that long. the difference there is only how theyre perceived.

Last edited:

Back