Wigan attempting to ' buy ' the league.

Aren't breaking FFP so what's the issue?

Didn't have an issue with us when we spunked £3m on Grigg, unless it's not the same when the club in question has bought shit players.... yet Wigan did give Wyke 10k a week so not sure which signing is worse.

As far as I am aware they are not breaking any of the financial rules.

Its often the way football works sadly. The richer clubs tend to end up at the top, so the owners of those clubs need to get used to it.
Loved it when Keane replaced our Safeway Savers players with Graham Kavanagh, Dwight Yorke, Carlos Edwards, Stan Varga, Ross Wallace, Marton Fulop etc but if I supported any other team I’d be foaming.

Right now the pie strokers are flying high but it won’t last with Marquee signings like Power and Wyke.

I'd never wish that on any fan.
Bury fans were completely shafted, Wigan fans seem more than happy to mortgage themselves up the ying yang for another shot a the big time.
Because they've spent money? And still nowhere near as much money as we did when we dropped down into League One.

Get a grip. Wouldn't wish that on any club or their supporters.
They went bust, got a 10 point deduction and look to be repeating the same mistake
Do you honestly beleive they are operating under FFP
Mclean, Jones, Power & Wyke will be pulling 25k a week between them. Completely unsustainable for a club averaging 9k with no revenue for 18 months
No one whining about Ipswich who have probably spent more.
If they've broken the rules they should be punished, we sure as hell would be

Last edited:
Really just depends on the numbers. If they're in breach give them a points deduction, if they're not then those teams need to let it go.

I have a feeling they will see if they can skirt it, but if push comes to shove the owners will stump up share capital.

This may come back to haunt me, but I think they have recruited poorly anyway. Tilt is good and McClean will probably offer a lot at this level but the three they got from us I'm not at all worried about.

Very interesting article being reported in the Doncaster Free Press. Where Wigan's CEO Mal Brannigan is having to fight off numerous allegations from the following clubs that Wigan ' throwing ' around of cash is tantamount to ' buying the league.
The following clubs have all lodged formal complaints to the EFL.
Doncaster
Accrington
Bolton
Lincoln
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Rotherham

Can't see anything coming of it I have to say.But worth keeping an eye on.
Folks I will attempt to post the actual article for you a bit later.
Not really bothered, Liverpool, City, Utd, Chelsea doing it for years. Money talks, fills back pockets and brown paper bags. Token gestures to stop it fail as another way around spending is found. HTL.

Very interesting article being reported in the Doncaster Free Press. Where Wigan's CEO Mal Brannigan is having to fight off numerous allegations from the following clubs that Wigan ' throwing ' around of cash is tantamount to ' buying the league.
Doncaster
Accrington
Bolton
Lincoln
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Rotherham

Hmm, I can't see Ipswich in that list...

No laws against "buying a league" but I'd be amazed if Wigan and Ipswich don't fall foul of the wage cap.
Portsmouth objecting to a club throwing money around makes me smile.
Short memories but they have paid there price other than the cup win being stricken.

Last edited:
Unless their owners are putting (or will put) a lot of cash in in share capital (for which there is zero evidence to date), I'm struggling to see how they can square their wage bill with their income and stay within the salary cap. Our overall wage bill is still probably higher than theirs, but our gates are about four times higher. Ipswich also have more leeway because they have more fans.
What do you mean by 'share capital'?

What do you mean by 'share capital'?

What it says - the club issues new shares and the owner buys them. The only other way is to put cash in as an irrevocable gift (probably under deed of trust). Loans don't count. From the EFL's (and PL's) standpoint, the only way an input from an owner can count for FFP/SCMP purposes is if the only has no automatic right to get the money back.

Doncaster
Accrington
Bolton
Lincoln
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Rotherham

clubs spending more money than others has gone on since the formation of the football league.

Back