WIFI question (& washing machines)

I've bought the missus a new washing machine and I'm have a right bugger on connecting it to the wifi (you can operate it manually but it's much easier with the app).
I'm on Virgin and when you log-on you can choose between the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz, we always choose the 5Ghz as it seems more stable. To use the washing machine the manual says you've got to have 2.4Ghz to register it & set it up, but doesn't say if it has to always be on this setting afterwards (i'm assuming it does?). Is it possible to temporarily get rid of the 5Ghz?

I was on the phone to Hoover for 30 mins on Saturday only for them to say i had to email them but they've not replied & the washing is piling up.

I've bought the missus a new washing machine and I'm have a right bugger on connecting it to the wifi (you can operate it manually but it's much easier with the app).
I'm on Virgin and when you log-on you can choose between the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz, we always choose the 5Ghz as it seems more stable. To use the washing machine the manual says you've got to have 2.4Ghz to register it & set it up, but doesn't say if it has to always be on this setting afterwards (i'm assuming it does?). Is it possible to temporarily get rid of the 5Ghz?

I was on the phone to Hoover for 30 mins on Saturday only for them to say i had to email them but they've not replied & the washing is piling up.

It'll be setup and used on the 2.4ghz, the 2.4 has a longer range but slower speed so it's supposed to be more stable.

The machine will only connect to the 2.4 network, you don't need to switch the 5 off at all.

Can you not have multiple wifi networks? Broadcast both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz at the same time, attach your washing machine to 2.4 and every modern device to 5?

Yes, that's what I'm saying - we've got both. The washing machine doesn't give the option of letting you choose though.
If I'm trying to set it up on my tablet for example, I connect the tablet to the 2.4Ghz then you turn on the washer and press these 2 buttons at once until "rr" comes on the screen - I can't get this to work.
Most pointless thing ever unless the WiFi can somehow magically load up the washing machine with yer dirty clothes.

I've never used a washing machine in my life but the demo of the app was a piece of piss mind.
It'll be setup and used on the 2.4ghz, the 2.4 has a longer range but slower speed so it's supposed to be more stable.

The machine will only connect to the 2.4 network, you don't need to switch the 5 off at all.

can't get it to connect though.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I'm saying - we've got both. The washing machine doesn't give the option of letting you choose though.
If I'm trying to set it up on my tablet for example, I connect the tablet to the 2.4Ghz then you turn on the washer and press these 2 buttons at once until "rr" comes on the screen - I can't get this to work.

I've never used a washing machine in my life but the demo of the app was a piece of piss mind.

can't get it to connect though.

'forget' the 5ghz network on the tablet whilst you setup the machine

I split my connection and run 2 different wifi signals with different names for this reason.

Many older devices keep breaking my 5Ghzz and are much happier on their own 2.4Ghz.

There was on option in the router to Combine 5 and 2.4, I unchecked it, gave them different names and all ok since.

I split my connection and run 2 different wifi signals with different names for this reason.

Many older devices keep breaking my 5Ghzz and are much happier on their own 2.4Ghz.

There was on option in the router to Combine 5 and 2.4, I unchecked it, gave them different names and all ok since.

How do you get to the settings to do this?
'forget' the 5ghz network on the tablet whilst you setup the machine

I'll try that now.

How do you get to the settings to do this?
if the router has band steering enabled it may try to push the connection on to the 5ghz network and fail, you may need to tinker with the router & 'turn off' the 5ghz radio.

its a pisser that companies are making home equipment "smart", and then to save some cash stick legacy wlan hardware inside.

its a pisser that companies are making home equipment "smart", and then to save some cash stick legacy wlan hardware inside.
2.4Ghz has a better range, so it makes sence to use it here. 2.4Ghz is plenty fast enough for anything other than moving large files across a network

2.4Ghz has a better range, so it makes sence to use it here. 2.4Ghz is plenty fast enough for anything other than moving large files across a network
with the network infra manufacturers pushing to new tech these "smart devices" that are coming off the production line today are already relying on increasingly obsolete tech...

the problem from a network level is that the volume of data & speed of consumption is only going in one direction, and 2.4 isnt the answer. i speak only from a network admin point of view btw, my washing machine isnt as fancy as this... band steering is meant to help in these exact circumstances but in practice i've found it to be fallible.

you need to move the washer nearer to the router

Much easier to operate with app? You’ve spent longer on the phone to hotpoint than I’ve spent in my entire life twiddling washing machine dials to 40 or 30 and pressing go.

You’ve got to be beside the machine to put the clothes in anyway. It’s not like you’re going to be setting it away from the sea front in Majorca.

Back