WiFi external hard drives

Am I right in thinking that once I connect it my router, I can stream films direct to my smart tv?
I’ve got a WD Mycloud I think it’s called connected to my router. My Samsung smart TV just picks it up as an external disk drive so I can browse and play from it with the tv remote. Works well doesn’t seem to lag or buffer, but transferring files from the computer to it isn’t the fastest.

I’ve got a WD Mycloud I think it’s called connected to my router. My Samsung smart TV just picks it up as an external disk drive so I can browse and play from it with the tv remote. Works well doesn’t seem to lag or buffer, but transferring files from the computer to it isn’t the fastest.
Can’t I just download the files direct to the hard drive?

Can’t I just download the files direct to the hard drive?
Yeah I think it shows as a network drive so you should be able to save directly to it. I’ve never tried it but tbh that’s probably faster. I usually just download files to my pc, check they work, then move them over.

Need to check that the TV supports different video formats, I have an LG and it won’t play MKV,

My LG TV does and I've had it years. HDMI media players are funny about MKV files though, my media player will play some MKV files and not others(plays sound only sometimes).

Last edited:
Why would you want to do it this way when you’re smart tv of iptv has a million films anyway?
Serious question not a smart arse one.
To me it’s like coupling up your CD player?

I’m a missing something?

Why would you want to do it this way when you’re smart tv of iptv has a million films anyway?
Serious question not a smart arse one.
To me it’s like coupling up your CD player?

I’m a missing something?
If you don't have a really fast internet connection and want to watch 4k films without nailing your bandwith.

Back