WiFi Connection Issue in the House

Status
Not open for further replies.

87 Others

Central Defender
I've recently moved some devices around in my house (TV,PS4,Laptop) to the upstairs.

The Ps4's download speeds have dramatically reduced and the Laptop/TV can connect but it says there is no internet connection.

I know there is a Wifi/Internet connection as my Iphone and Ipad work better than they have ever done before strangely.

Anyone had this issue/any tips on how to fix it please?

Is the router upstairs too? Ideally you want it high and central within the house.

Is there anything that could be stopping the signal e.g. Metal objects, solid walls etc.

Will just be too far away from the router. The closer you are generally the better the connection will be. Walls, other devices etc. can all interfere with the signal.

Homeplugs are handy to extend your wifi throughout the house.

I've recently moved some devices around in my house (TV,PS4,Laptop) to the upstairs.

The Ps4's download speeds have dramatically reduced and the Laptop/TV can connect but it says there is no internet connection.

I know there is a Wifi/Internet connection as my Iphone and Ipad work better than they have ever done before strangely.

Anyone had this issue/any tips on how to fix it please?

Distance.

Try changing the channel on the router, this could help if it’s congestion as well.

If you need WiFi then get yourself some home plugs with WiFi. One will plug into wall next to router, then hard wire into router, the other put upstairs and it will extend your WiFi.

1 - Connect on your phone and walk up to where the devices are that won't connect - put the phone on a table and come back after a few mins - how strong is the connection now?

2 - Are they connecting on 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 5 is faster, but doesn't travel as well. I can't use 5Ghz in my study as the signal strength is too low. That's with BT's newest Smart Hub, which is supposedly decent and a smallish house.

I've just checked and my connectivity from ps4 is only around 60%, not sure why as really isn't far from router at all. I'm going to borrow a wifi booster and put it at the top of the stairs and see if that makes a difference.

Are 'Plugs' the same principle as the wifi extender? Or should I be looking at getting some specific type?

The one that's confusing me is the laptop, connected fine to the router but says there is no connection, even when I go and stand next to the router and leave the laptop there for a while.

I've just checked and my connectivity from ps4 is only around 60%, not sure why as really isn't far from router at all. I'm going to borrow a wifi booster and put it at the top of the stairs and see if that makes a difference.

Are 'Plugs' the same principle as the wifi extender? Or should I be looking at getting some specific type?

The one that's confusing me is the laptop, connected fine to the router but says there is no connection, even when I go and stand next to the router and leave the laptop there for a while.

Think of it this way, or all WiFi extender relies on your wit signal to extend it.

A WiFi home plug sends it through the power lines (almost as good as hard wired) then extends it. So this is the best option.

60% should be totally fine.
Maybe you could hard reset the router and let everything set up from scratch?

Homeplugs are ok, but they're not all that fast unless you get the more expensive ones.

It looks like it's the download speed. On a test on the PS4 it's coming back in kbps, however when I run tests on my phone i'm getting well over 16mb.

Will try hard reset on everything as suggested and hope for the best.

Or yes as suggested, get rid of the sodding house.

It looks like it's the download speed. On a test on the PS4 it's coming back in kbps, however when I run tests on my phone i'm getting well over 16mb.
Will try hard reset on everything as suggested and hope for the best.
Or yes as suggested, get rid of the sodding house.
Aye, something not right there.

So did a hard reset on the BT hub and all seems to be working fine, back up to 10mb download on the PS4. Still 6 short of my phone says but I'll take it.

Anyway, cheers for all the suggestions lads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back