WiFi booster for loft

As people have said if you have a plug socket up there get a powerline device and then run a cat 5 cable from it to an old router or switch.

I was very sceptical of them as i would have always ran proper cabling but i got a cheap set and they were brilliant - just invested in 2 sets of the 2gb ones from TP link as we do a lot of streaming and they work really well.
Have you got a link to one mate. So you plug this in, could I then connect an ethernet to a ps4 direct? Sorry, I am an IT fkwit.

bloke from virgin said he wasnt sure how reliable their wifi boosters were :lol:, but wouldnt budge on the £3 per mth

he said often better off running an ethernet cable up in loft and a separate router up there (or one of the bedrooms) - this is all chinese to me, im IT clueless

One of kids wants to use the loft (basic conversion ) as study for college , problem is we can’t get WiFi up there .
Rang virgin and got told would be a £50 charge And £3 per month on bill.
So I’m seeking advice from the IT Crowd . Anyone else had this problem in past , what do I need to get that is piss easy to set up and will work
Cheers !
run some cable from your router to the loft, and plug in either another WiFi access point or just direct into the PC (if that's what you're using)

One of kids wants to use the loft (basic conversion ) as study for college , problem is we can’t get WiFi up there .
Rang virgin and got told would be a £50 charge And £3 per month on bill.
So I’m seeking advice from the IT Crowd . Anyone else had this problem in past , what do I need to get that is piss easy to set up and will work
Cheers !

Home plug WIFI booster, using the electric cabling. Is the loft network cabled out?

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Powerlines were shite in mine, house was recently rewired so I thought it'd be alright but it ended up unusable.

WiFi was having bother reaching the upstairs rooms at the back of the house so I got one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AHXXJVW/, didn't cost much and does the job.

Absolutely disgraceful that they’d charge you a subscription fee for a power line adapter.
We had a Virgin engineer out just after Christmas fixing the phone line and he was banging on about the WiFi, got onto this subject and even he admitted the prices they charge for stuff like that are over the top.

Last edited:
Have a look at Mesh networks, they work a treat and can cover the whole house & garden. I've got the Tenda Nova MW6, it works a treat and gives me super speeds all over my house, the Nova MW3 is cheaper but has a maximum speed of 100MB. This system works great with Virgin.
WIFI boosters also do the job but can be fiddly at times. I would imagine you will lose some throughput through some of the WIFI booster systems.

These Wifi Extenders, is there a one where it doesn't create a different network name? i.e. one that seamlessly does the job?

Otherwise I'll still be connected to the primary one, but with a shit signal in 2 of the upstairs rooms, when there's a great signal on the extender.
Don't want to have to manually change my wifi connection every time I move around the house.

These Wifi Extenders, is there a one where it doesn't create a different network name? i.e. one that seamlessly does the job?

Otherwise I'll still be connected to the primary one, but with a shit signal in 2 of the upstairs rooms, when there's a great signal on the extender.
Don't want to have to manually change my wifi connection every time I move around the house.

A mesh network does this seamlessly. Some systems are really expensive like Google WIFI Whole Home, BT whole home, £200+ easily although the Tenda Nova MW6 I got was £137 and works flawlessly, the WIFI network does the handovers automatically, it works like a business WIFI system which connects you to the strongest WIFI node. The Tenda nova MW3 was down to £50-£60 in the Black Friday deals but as mentioned previously had a maximum throughput of 100MB.

Hope this helps.

Back