Wide Angle Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's about being bothered tbh, more just that if someone knows that buying a 5d Mark 3 is a daft move by someone then they feel they have an obligation to at least try and help them see it's a waste of money. If you have the knowledge then you should really step in and at least try and make them see sense. If they choose to still buy it then it's not really an issue as at least you offered them the advice.

Anyway with you it's for work so you don't really apply to the daft arsed gadget freak with more money than sense scenario I'm talking about here :)

as I said; I see the point you're making.

But, it's akin to complaining about people buying big powerful cars TBH... envy masquerading as faux-common-sense. Ross has a top of the range BMW with a fantastic red leather interior BTW. :cool:

Opened a right can of worms here. For the application, full frame is preferable due to being a true 17mm rather than a crop that would make it the equivalent of a 27mm

surrup yey.

Yeah fair point... Not sure about the full frame big tho, how would a rank amateur benefit from it?

the 135mm f/2.0L prime would be exactly that for a start, not 180mm. :evil:

as I said; I see the point you're making.

But, it's akin to complaining about people buying big powerful cars TBH... envy masquerading as faux-common-sense. Ross has a top of the range BMW with a fantastic red leather interior BTW. :cool:

surrup yey.

the 135mm f/2.0L prime would be exactly that for a start, not 180mm. :evil:

Aye I get the fact the crop sensor changes the focal length but it's not really that big an issue for an amateur, hell I do all my portraits on a 50mm prime on a 7D... is it annoying that I'ma ctually at 75mm? A bit yes but I just have to take a few steps further back.

I still don't really see how it's much of an issue tbh

Opened a right can of worms here. For the application, full frame is preferable due to being a true 17mm rather than a crop that would make it the equivalent of a 27mm

You can buy 11mm lenses for APS-C.

Full frame is preferable because you get high resolution with large pixels. Large pixels mean higher SNR and dynamic range.

The main reason I would consider a 5D (if I could afford one) is for the clean higher ISO's which make it a great camera for night use. All the top aurora imagers use them.

Full frame is preferable because you get high resolution with large pixels. Large pixels mean higher SNR and dynamic range.

The main reason I would consider a 5D (if I could afford one) is for the clean higher ISO's which make it a great camera for night use. All the top aurora imagers use them.
of course, and i mention earlier in the thread i have the tokina 11-16mm but for the applications I need it for work, the tilt shift would be perfect. There are lots of converging lines in shots of offices, exterior buildings, warehouses, fittings etc.

Last edited:
of course, and i mention earlier in the thread i have the tokina 11-16mm but for the applications I need it for work, the tilt shift would be perfect. There are lots of converging lines in shots of offices, exterior buildings, warehouses, fittings etc.

What improvement would you expect the tilt shift to bring? Genuine question - every shot I have seen with these has been a faux-miniature so beyond that novelty I don't 'get' them.

What improvement would you expect the tilt shift to bring? Genuine question - every shot I have seen with these has been a faux-miniature so beyond that novelty I don't 'get' them.
I know you can do that miniature effect with them but I'm not really interested in that, I'm more interested in getting lines parallel. If you google "tilt shift for architecture" and view the pictures, you'll see what they do. I'm trying to avoid "keystoning"

Last edited:

Yeah now that's exactly the right reason to buy a FF camera... however there's an alarming number of people buy them to take pictures of their dogs :lol:

Yeah now that's exactly the right reason to buy a FF camera... however there's an alarming number of people buy them to take pictures of their dogs :lol:
Whilst i see your point, I just don't see the problem, or rather, why it seems to concern people so much. There can only be one possible answer.

It's like there's an unwritten rule amongst enthusiasts that excludes photography from being like any other luxury item. Houses, cars, bikes, caravans, sports equipment, garden gear... whatever floats your boat, you tend to buy the best that you can justify and afford.

Well. I do anyway.

Whilst i see your point, I just don't see the problem, or rather, why it seems to concern people so much. There can only be one possible answer.

It's like there's an unwritten rule amongst enthusiasts that excludes photography from being like any other luxury item. Houses, cars, bikes, caravans, sports equipment, garden gear... whatever floats your boat, you tend to buy the best that you can justify and afford.

Well. I do anyway.

mate, I was gonna write the exact same thing but didn't want to perpetuate the thread..

it's almost like, 'I have my 7D, it's way good enough. You have invalidated my decision by buying the better model; ergo - you're stupid, lol'

I'm like that with trainers mind :oops:

mate, I was gonna write the exact same thing but didn't want to perpetuate the thread..

it's almost like, 'I have my 7D, it's way good enough. You have invalidated my decision by buying the better model; ergo - you're stupid, lol'

I can no longer afford anything after my recent purchase :eek:

Mind, midlife crisis for me has come early mind :lol:

Well. I do anyway.

I think it's just that a lot of people can't afford it but decide they'll find a way because it'll make their pics 'pro' quality.

At the end of the day it makes no difference to me if someone wants to buy a FF to take pics of their dogs, but I'd feel I wasn't doing the right thing to at least try and point them in the right direction and save them some money... if they choose to ignore it then fair enough, but from a moral point of view if I know something and don't share it I feel bad.

Also they make me look like a dick when I turn up at a wedding with a 7d and they're all standing around with their 5D mark 3's :lol:

I think it's just that a lot of people can't afford it but decide they'll find a way because it'll make their pics 'pro' quality.

At the end of the day it makes no difference to me if someone wants to buy a FF to take pics of their dogs, but I'd feel I wasn't doing the right thing to at least try and point them in the right direction and save them some money... if they choose to ignore it then fair enough, but from a moral point of view if I know something and don't share it I feel bad.

Also they make me look like a dick when I turn up at a wedding with a 7d and they're all standing around with their 5D mark 3's :lol:

And there we have it :lol:

is that why you dissed my trainers on here even though you knew mine were better?

is that why you dissed my trainers on here even though you knew mine were better?

knaaaa, mine were miles better marra. I liked yours though..

but lets not get into an argument as to why i would buy Gazelles when I already have Sambas. :evil:

(what were they again? link them for me)

edit: you still wanna get out or do you want to wait for your new gear?

knaaaa, mine were miles better marra. I liked yours though..

but lets not get into an argument as to why i would buy Gazelles when I already have Sambas. :evil:

(what were they again? link them for me)

edit: you still wanna get out or do you want to wait for your new gear?
special edition Olympic indoor gazelles. :cool:

http://www.crookedtongues.com/news/2011/Dec/6/adidas-originals-great-britain-gazelle-indoor-hand/

I'll let you know about sunday mate, I'm at a wedding on Saturday so may be in no fit state on Sunday, i'll text you.

Its not ordered yet, was thinking about hiring the 24mm and the 17mm TSE lenses to see which would be better. Obviously the 17mm would be better for close quarters shots such as offices but its meant to be harder to use and normal filters won't fit.

special edition Olympic indoor gazelles. :cool:

http://www.crookedtongues.com/news/2011/Dec/6/adidas-originals-great-britain-gazelle-indoor-hand/

I'll let you know about sunday mate, I'm at a wedding on Saturday so may be in no fit state on Sunday, i'll text you.

Its not ordered yet, was thinking about hiring the 24mm and the 17mm TSE lenses to see which would be better. Obviously the 17mm would be better for close quarters shots such as offices but its meant to be harder to use and normal filters won't fit.

nice one Ross. Don't forget i owe you, feel free to be a bellend to is.. soz about that.

I really like them trainers, will buy when our lass has forgotten how much i've speant on footwear this month...

i'd say hire the 24mm which looks to be f/3.5 aswell..

Last edited by a moderator:
nice one Ross. Don't forget i owe you, feel free to be a bellend to is.. soz about that.

I really like them trainers, will buy when our lass has forgotten how much i've speant on footwear this month...

i'd say hire the 24mm which looks to be f/3.5 aswell..
yer i'm just thinking of the possibility of filtering some office shots for longer exposures of people walking through etc. Be more difficult on the 17mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back