Wi-Fi reliable booster

now that working home, wifi hub (virgin) is in front room, becaue otrher family members now working home Im going to have to go up into the loft room but wifi doesnt reach there , can anybody recommend a good reliable and powerful wifi booster , preferably on amazon so can get quick delivery and maybe able to use company account
thanks
I just bought some powerline adapters for £25 so our lass can work at home. They've sent her home with this shit little PC with no WiFi. This was the cheapest way without running a long cable up the wall. Reliable speeds so far

Just been on BT.. got an upgraded contact for £5 a month less with booster guarantee if new hub isn't better for the whole house and they have doubled the data on mobiles so now have 40gb on each

How did you manage that Epp?

I have been trying to contact BT for over a week now. Phone.... no chance. Can't even just place an order as get as far as checkout and it drops off.

How did you manage that Epp?

I have been trying to contact BT for over a week now. Phone.... no chance. Can't even just place an order as get as far as checkout and it drops off.

Just did it online.. logged in checked offers and added to basket then checked out..
I was in fibre 2 and now I've gone to fibre halo

I was getting fleeced on my old deal so still paying loads but better and cheaper.. the extra data is good for daughter... 40gb

Last edited:
Just did it online.. logged in checked offers and added to basket then checked out..
I was in fibre 2 and now I've gone to fibre halo

I was getting fleeced on my old deal so still paying loads but better and cheaper.. the extra data is good for daughter... 40gb

Just tried again.... All good until hit Checkout then takes me straight to the "can't reach this page" message. Nevermind will keep trying.

I am with virgin and had all sorts of issues with the wifi. Had extenders, powerline to try and sort the wifi out in the bairns rooms.

Ended up having to bite the bullet and buy the google nest to create a mesh network especially with me and the missus now working from home.

Burnt a whole in my pocket but have to say it's sorted it out and we no longer have a threat of the xbox being thrown out of my sons window when his fifa game crashes half way through a match

I bought a TPLink a few months ago, but didn’t realise it had to be on the same circuit, until it arrived.
Didn’t make any improvements for me.
Changed router back to my old BT one, Plusnet router was shocking.

now that working home, wifi hub (virgin) is in front room, becaue otrher family members now working home Im going to have to go up into the loft room but wifi doesnt reach there , can anybody recommend a good reliable and powerful wifi booster , preferably on amazon so can get quick delivery and maybe able to use company account
thanks

Haven't read the whole thread so soz if already mentioned but stay away from traditional "WiFi extenders" they just try ad pass the signal around, wirelessly. Sounds good but it's not the best way.

The best way, IMO without spending a fortune is to buy PowerLine adapters, with WiFi extenders built in. This does two things:

1) Extends your wifi
2) Gives you one or more ethernet ports to hard wire a device

Both of the above act like a long ethernet extension cable, but they use the magic your home power lines to send the data around. Whilst not as good as hard wire, it's better than wireless.

One thing which cold trip you up is if you have a lot of noise in your power lines (you probably won't know until you try tho!)

Something like this:

Devolo are class, I've used them for years now. You can get faster (if you need it?) but of course you pay more.

We tried the virgin boosters and they did nowt. Did some reading and apparently the super hub 3 is poor, especially when using a vpn for work. Bought a tp link archer c7 router and it's so much better. 300+ mbps right through the house and the vpns work fine

Installed one of these recently, haven't had much time to properly test it but seems to be working well.

A simple thing to try is to check the Wifi channel you are using; most people leave it at the default. Download a wifi analyser app to your phone or tablet for free, and check if your channel is being used by other nearby routers. It is easy to change this on the router admin page to a more lightly used channel. The wifi analyser app is really useful as you can check easily if you can get a better signal simply my moving round the rooms.
We are with Sky and recently upgraded to Sky Q with a couple of mini boxes, and they installed a wifi booster in the hall for free.

On the advice of someone off here I ditched my virgin router and got one of these

Range is far better (extends to top of the garden) and comes with lots of good features

How does this work then TC, do you simply swap the routers or do you still need the virgin router and add the new one in series?

We bought an AMPLIFI mesh WiFi kit, quite expensive but it’s brilliant. Piece of piss to set up and the range is cracking. Virgin routers are absolute shite.

How does this work then TC, do you simply swap the routers or do you still need the virgin router and add the new one in series?
Download the app and register. Set the Virgin Box to "Modem Mode" (http://192.168.0.1)then connect it to the new router with an ethernet cable. After that, the app and the router have to pair and after about 5 mins it's all set up. Made a massive difference to my wifi range/performance

Back