Wi-Fi reliable booster

Fletch

Striker
now that working home, wifi hub (virgin) is in front room, becaue otrher family members now working home Im going to have to go up into the loft room but wifi doesnt reach there , can anybody recommend a good reliable and powerful wifi booster , preferably on amazon so can get quick delivery and maybe able to use company account
thanks

Ive just ordered one of Virgins own, hope its gonna cut the mustard. I have been using bt500 wifi extenders previously with different levels of success however one of them completely dies the other day so thought id try the Virgin

now that working home, wifi hub (virgin) is in front room, becaue otrher family members now working home Im going to have to go up into the loft room but wifi doesnt reach there , can anybody recommend a good reliable and powerful wifi booster , preferably on amazon so can get quick delivery and maybe able to use company account
thanks
Get on to your supplier mate get the sob story going am sure you will get one free. If not the one @HellsBells mentions is a good one.

thanks
Virgin guarantee house coverage - we had them out last year, we were paying for 200mb(?) and getting about 40-60. Because we were already paying for their top package at the time, the engineer fitted booster plugs free of charge including a second signal/line (excuse my lack of terminology) so upstairs is now on a different router 'address'. We still only got about 130-150 but it was a lot better and did what we wanted. We've since upped to 300mb(?) for an extra £3 and a new tablet we bought recently shows 250+ on speedtest.

Just got the Virgin ones too. Seem to be working upstairs but thought it was a liberty charging £3.99 a month for them so I threatened to cancel - they couldn't do the boosters for free but gave me a discount giving me 200mb broadband a better telly package and saving a tenner a month and by upgrading TV packages you are then entitled to the boosters for free.

Just been on BT.. got an upgraded contact for £5 a month less with booster guarantee if new hub isn't better for the whole house and they have doubled the data on mobiles so now have 40gb on each

is the correct answer, dont ask for an explanation of how they work though - my lass (no) thinks its witchcraft

It uses the earth wire to send the signal. That is why you get a much better speed if they are on the same loop. As soon as you go between loops, for example downstairs to upstairs, it has to go through the circuit breakers which adds more resistance and therefore slows it down. Ignore the advertised speed though, mine is rated for 1200mbps, and I actually only get 70.

this is the right answer. There will be loads of wifi noise with so many people in the house using it, you'll get far better service if you use a cable
Depends though. Will work for some but not everyone. I had some that worked fine for ages with Virgin then one day the powerline speed dropped to next to nowt and the wifi hub kept resetting. The house was rewired not long ago so it wasn't the wiring and I couldn't narrow it down to one particular electrical device causing interference. I had four sockets, so I reduced them to two, and it didn't matter how I paired them the same thing kept happening.

I gave up on them in the end and installed a couple of ethernet sockets with a cable running up the outside of the house to upstairs.

Draytek Vigor AP903, we have 3 of these meshed together, solves the problem of signal going through 18 to 24 inch stone walls.

It uses the earth wire to send the signal. That is why you get a much better speed if they are on the same loop. As soon as you go between loops, for example downstairs to upstairs, it has to go through the circuit breakers which adds more resistance and therefore slows it down. Ignore the advertised speed though, mine is rated for 1200mbps, and I actually only get 70.
Earths don't go thro circuit breakers.

Back