Wi-fi question

Wilfy

Striker
Our router is located upstairs and tbh the coverage is canny shit. Could I plug the incoming supply direct to a wi-fi hot plug thingy and then plug the router in the other end downstairs?

Why's the router upstairs? It's meant to be plugged in to the main phone connection which is going to be downstairs.

Just relocate the box downstairs plug in to the main box and it'll work better.

Think you need the router to be on the end of the incoming line, before it goes to the wi-fi... but you could use a pair of powerplugs and/or extender to get a better and faster signal downstairs I think...

Our router is located upstairs and tbh the coverage is canny shit. Could I plug the incoming supply direct to a wi-fi hot plug thingy and then plug the router in the other end downstairs?
Is there not a patch panel in the cabinet and network ports in the walls already? Seems a bit odd to go to the trouble of putting a cabinet in if you don’t have cabling to go with it.

If there is, you can patch any of those cable into the router to make the wall sockets live.

You don’t say what is wrong with the WiFi. Is it slow constantly or is it dropping out on occasion? If it’s dropping out then it’s most likely interference from metal or other transmissions. If it’s slow constantly then it’s either the broadband itself or the router playing up.

Don’t move your router.

First off check that it’s not the broadband itself by plugging directly into the router with a network cable and laptop.

High and central is best for WiFi coverage as long as there are no large metal objects in the way e.g joists or if the router was inside the metal cabinet instead of outside.

If it is outside the cabinet and the signal is crap, you may need to get another router.

If the signal drops out intermittently then it’s some other device conflicting with it. E.g. neighbouring WiFi on similar channel.

Cheers Bob, there is a patch panel and I have a netgear router plugged into plugs already but the wifi through it is shit so I end up connecting to the router upstairs. Might factory reset the downstairs router and try from scratch with it.

Cheers Bob, there is a patch panel and I have a netgear router plugged into plugs already but the wifi through it is shit so I end up connecting to the router upstairs. Might factory reset the downstairs router and try from scratch with it.
Are you using the downstairs router as a wireless repeater? Or are they separate WiFi networks connecting to the same broadband uplink? Why brand/models do you have?

If you are looking to replace them then may I recommend Billion brand routers as the fastest all in one WiFi routers I’ve dealt with. Not all the features you’d expect, but pure blistering pace is brilliant.

Last edited:
The one downstairs has a different network name.
In that case you may be better off configuring it as a repeater. Just google “old router as WiFi extender” and maybe stick the brand and model in. That way you’ll only have one network but two access points.

In that case you may be better off configuring it as a repeater. Just google “old router as WiFi extender” and maybe stick the brand and model in. That way you’ll only have one network but two access points.
Cheers again. Will try and sort it tomorrow.

Be alright when 5G is rolled out...as long as the hippies don't burn the mast out.

You have answered your own question, there lies your problem.....It should be downstairs with boosters upstairs!

My router is upstairs, i have 2 ports but the downstairs one crackles.

Back